Showgirl chick foot problems

Mini_field_farm

Chirping
Dec 17, 2020
Hiya, my showgirl chicks hatched last weekend and one of them (named Mouse) has an issue with her feet. Her outer toes seem unusually short and she holds them very close to her middle toes, which then means the toes the other side then curl round. She could walk initially, in her own way, but after a couple of days she also developed spraddle leg, I think as she just isn't distributing her weight correctly and therefore developed weakness. She has had a leg brace on for the last 4 days which has more or less corrected the spraddle leg. I am loathe to take it off her while her foot issue isn't resolved though as I think the same thing would happen again. I am attempting to correct her feet with shoes made out of thin plastic and micropore tape, which hold her feet in a more correct position. I guess my question is has anyone managed to correct issues like this previously? I don't expect her to ever have totally normal feet, but would like her to be able to walk without the leg brace or the shoes. Photos show her with her worst foot as is and then with the shoes on. Thanks

Attachments

• 20210312_133356.jpg
    20210312_133356.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210312_132706.jpg
    20210312_132706.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 15
I have only corrected splay leg with medical/vet wrap tape, but have never had toe issues like that before! The tape shoes look like they're helping; how's she doing?

She is ok as long as she has the shoes on but as soon as they come off (as in when she manages to peck them off) her feet return to their normal messed up position. Her legs seems to twist outwards the whole time. She didn't have the leg brace on for a couple of days to see how she got on but the situation deteriorated pretty quickly so back to having it on all the time. I've managed to find an exotic vet locally with avian experience so taking her to be seen on Monday morning. I do worry what the future holds for little Mouse as she just can't join in with the others but clearly so desperately wants to 😔

Back
Top Bottom