Showing Silkies question....

I have never used the glycerine. Somehow I wonder if it will affect the fluff.
I use Clairol Shimmer Lights shampoo on my Blue/Black/Splash/ and white/paint birds.
It's the stuff all us old ladies use on our grey hair.
Bleach makes me nervous, I would be afraid of bleaching the bird. What color is it?
I like to file the nails also.
Try to make it as easy on the judge as possible.
He has to pick up hundreds of birds, the less that shred the skin on his wrists, the better.
I also like to use a damp washcloth after the bath, and rub all the little snotty bits from the face and nose.
Take a Q-tip and clean around the nostrils and the folds in the comb.
You'd be surprised what comes off after you think they are clean!

Oxine is not too easy to find by me... I'm on Long Island.
See if there is a vendor that has it at the show.
In case anyone asks, you do NOT need the activating crystals
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/690632/silkie-breeding-genetics-showing try this thread, there are a few on the topic.

Quarantine. They need to be completely separate for a month. Some peeps do 2 weeks, 3 weeks.
The longer, the safer.
And watch them closely to see if there is anything strange going on.
Check for mites, lice, worms, and correct the problem before you combine the 2 groups.
And remember to wear comfortable shoes, bring a camera and a notepad for questions, and have fun.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
Good luck tomorrow!

I just want to be sure I understand correctly ... I can wash my white silkie in shimmer lights?? or is there a white/paint.. im new please pardon if I sound ignorant .. I don't want to turn her purple ..lol

do you guys keep your silkie up off the ground for awhile before showing .. I was told to do this but not to have it on wire bottom that it would mess up her feathers on the feet.. so DH is putting something as a floor today .. for how long before a show should she be kept like this? or do they live like that permanently ..
idunno.gif

Hi
Yes a week befour the show I take
The silkies into an indoor shed.
And I wash them.
I have never heard of that spray thingy
But I'm sure someone else can help
Goodluck

Back
Top Bottom