Showing

BantyHugger

Songster
11 Years
May 23, 2008
Ponder
I'd like to show my new Mille Fluer d'uccles next spring as well as a few of my ducks.
THE CHICKS:
Ok, I've heard alot about handling,caging, cleaning and brushing birds. Where do i get these so called brushes? What part of the bird do i brush? How big are the cages? Can i build one(i weld)? Where do i buy one? Do i really have to hold the birds upside down? For how long? surely the blood would flow to the head and kill it if it was too long.
THE DUCKS:
I know nothing about showing these guys. any info is welcome!
cool.png

My son shows his birds for 4-H and for open poultry shows. I can assure you that you do not hang your birds upside down.

I'm not sure of your age, but if you are under 18, most poultry shows have a showmanship contest. Adults usually don't participate, at least at the ones I have been to. You will need to properly show their heads, wings, undercolor, breastbone, feet and legs. You'll also need to know everything there is to know about your bird and birds in general. The more you know, the better your score.

If you are an adult, you just coop-in your bird, do last minute touchups before the judging, and sit and wait.

We don't use a brush on our birds because it would damage their feathers. Maybe silkie birds you do. The cages, food and shavings are usually provided by the poultry club having the show.

Sorry, can't help you with the ducks, we only have chickens.

Have fun!!!

I would be doing youth shows. I'm 15. I live in Texas if that makes a difference. I hope what you said about not hanging them upside down is true. thanks.
smile.png

Quote:
Hehe, they do get hung upside down, but it doesn't bother the birds one bit. Even in normal judging, not just for showmanship, the judge usually ends up flipping the bird over so that he can see parts of it clearly, it kind of depends on what breed it is and so what parts of its conformation is important.

Back
Top Bottom