1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shredded leaves as litter?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by purpletree23, Nov 11, 2010.

1. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    For the past few years I have been using kiln dried pine chips for bedding and have never had a problem. This year (even though I cleaned the coop 3 weeks ago) I smell ammonia. Someone suggested adding shredded leaves to the bedding. Another person said to use dried peat because ammonia is a base and the peat is an acid and should neutralize the smell.

I turned and tossed the bedding twice a day, it is well ventilated and the coop doesn't leak. The past few days I've left the people door open to air out more but there is still enough of a smell that I'm concerned.

Come on everyone......give me your thoughts;)

2. kitkatnoah

kitkatnoah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    I had read the same post last week about using leaves to help get rid of the smell. I raked up most of the fallen leaves in my yard & placed them in the run, the following day there was no longer a smell in the run. Now the chickens have torn up most of the leaves while scratching and have buried their droppings! [​IMG] I read about the peat moss, too, but could not find a supplier near me, but I would be eager to use it also.

3. Noelg

Noelg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 5, 2010
    HI

I put leaves in mine last weekend, It smells very nice and woodsy! Put them in the run and in the coop, the girls LOVE digging in them!

Revolution is the one who suggested it to me, here on the forum. ITS GREAT!

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Well that settles it. Tomorrow the girls get shredded leaved added to their bedding. I hope it works but if it doesn't I still have time to clean it out again before the BIG snows.

Thanks everyone!

5. mcostas

mcostas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    I put in unshredded leaves. I had gotten them last season to add to teh compost heap. The chickens pulverize them! I put a little diatomaceus earth in too, and the pen has a tarp cover.

I was going to put in sand but the leaves are working so well I may just leave it at that.

6. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Yeah I do unshredded leaves and some straw. Toss in some scratch on cold rainy days and you have instant coop stirring! Great compost at the end of the winter

7. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Don't bother shredding them. It will be a waste of time as the chickens will do an excellent job of shredding for you.
    It will keep them quite busy [​IMG]

8. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Was gonna say the same thing. Just put some leaves in my coop and run yesterday. Has helped tons already and will continue to add as need be throughout fall.

9. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    we had to do some pruning on one of our trees. All the green bits (leaves, new branches, etc.) went in the bottom of the coop, and have been doing a great job soaking up the poop, giving the hens a nice soft landing when the jump off the roosts. All the older branches I broke up and threw into the run, and they are also doing a good job soaking up poop, getting scratched in by the hens. obviously not a soft bedding, but that isnt needed in the run, and everyone is happy.

My crummy neighbours always let their orange/lemon tree's grow over our fences, so the citrus leaves go into the coop and help A LOT with the smell

10. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I've been using the maple leaves every year. I also spread smaller leaves near the coop doors to keep the feet cleaner before the enter to lay eggs.
    Some of the oldtimers saved leaves for livestock bedding. They are free.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by