shredded paper instead of pine for shavings??

Modern newspaper inks are not toxic. I have raised worms successfully in shredded newsprint. Worms are alot more sensitive to toxins than chickens. As for the safety of toner inks I dunno.

Me too!! The paper is great for them becsue they eat alot of it. I also used that coconut peat as a bedding for them..course I fed all my worms to my chickens last year and have to start all over. Asked the guy friday at the bait shop about red wigglers and he said they wouldn't be in unitl the middle of March. I'll get a few containers and get my worm bin re-started. Very easy and that worm "tea" smells awful but is good compost liguid.​

I put down a small layer of sawdust, then a bigger layer of the small shredded paper and on top of that is the straw and/or dried grass. The hens love scratching in it and when its first put down they burrow into it to sleep and I get 9 eggs out of 8 (or 7?) hens the day its all new bedding. I add either the straw or shredded bits of paper every weekend as needed and it all stays dry and warm for Alaska conditions.

I prefer the long shredded paper for the nesting boxes as it keeps dry and clean longer, I change that once a month.

I was changing it all out every Saturday but the Snow Buntings were getting fat off all the wasted chicken feed!

Back
Top Bottom