shredded paper

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CountryKen, Nov 10, 2009.

1. CountryKen

CountryKen New Egg

Sep 25, 2009
    RainbowValley
    I am looking for pine shavings in the desert, kinda like looking for snow in the South Seas. So I'm wondering if shreaded paper would work in my broader instead of pine.
    This is paper from my office building, I have mountains of this stuff and I already use it in my compost pile so what do you think? can I use this stuff.

thanks

2. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    I tried it and didn't like it. When the little fluff balls pooped on it, it would stick to their feet. It would cake up. I used it in the coop too and didn't like it there either. They would track it out into my yard (like toilet paper on your shoe;)) and I would have white things blowing everywhere. JMO

My shredded paper goes in my compost pile

BTW [​IMG] from Kansas [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2009
  3. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    I used it when I first got my coop done. It was cheap...free and I had TONS of it. After a few days I had white paper all over the yard because it sticks to the chickens and especially the ducks. It looked like I had a ticker-tape parade in the backyard. [​IMG]

4. Luke0987654321

Luke0987654321 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Spain
    i agree,
    doesnt work well

5. CountryKen

CountryKen New Egg

Sep 25, 2009
    RainbowValley
    I kinda thought that would be the case, I did find a guy with alder shavings would that work?

6. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    Not sure, I think cedar is what you DO NOT want to use. Maybe if you use the search button on that it might give you more choices or what you should not use as far as wood product. If it is the brooder, I use newspaper as a base then cheap papertowels. As they get older I do put in a little paper shreds for them to 'scratch' in. Not much though.

7. adkchickmama

adkchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Adirondacks
    Do you have a source out there for wood pellets? The kind you use for a pellet stove? I used those with my chicks and it worked well, they are pretty absorbent and too big for them to eat. [​IMG]

8. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Check for feed suppliers in your area, if none is close you may be able to order it by the bale. you might be able to order 6mos. worth. i used to have 10 bales at a time delivered to my house when I had guinea pigs. (129). They even put it on my porch. Anyone know if I can do this with chicken feed?

9. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Alder shaving should be ok. What I used was wire floor with unshredded newspaper underneath. I used 1/4" hardware cloth since I had bantams. It was still a bit hard on their feet so I covered it with old sheets. The sheets dried very quickly and could easily be machine washed and re-used in the brooder (never any-where else though). Some people use shelf liner.

10. hermiesbirdies

hermiesbirdies Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    there is a post on here somewhere about using sand, how it helps dry the poop and you can clean it up with a kitty litter scooper.

from what everyone else is saying maybe you could use the paper and make chicken pinyatas:D fill full of worms and veggies. I dont know how to blind fold a chicken though and how to get them to take turns either

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by