Shrink bags and variable size birds

BrianV

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2018
Eastern Ontario, Canada
Hi all.

I have 6 roosters to cull, and they range in size from smaller leghorn-type roosters at 4-5lb up to a few larger roos with Jersey Giant up near 7-9lbs.

I'm interested in moving to shrink bags, but I'm having some problems figuring out what I should get:

Does it work to just get large bags (10"x16") for everyone? ie, will they shrink down enough to fit the smaller birds? Are these big enough for the larger birds, or do I need a turkey bag for them?

If not, does anyone have a suggestion for a reasonable way to pack roosters for the freezer with reasonable freezer burn protection?

10X16 won't cut it once you start getting above 5-6 pounds dressed out. I use some 12X16" bags here that we use for packaging product and they're not long enough to seal up once you but the chicken in.

For what it's worth I've had good luck with GT Bag company for product packages, they're friendly and helpful on the phone, though minimum order quantity may be a bit of a commitment, and I'm not sure if they sell proper thick freezer bags.

Back
Top Bottom