Shrink Wrap Bag Crisis

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by aggieterpkatie, Sep 23, 2010.

1. aggieterpkatie

aggieterpkatie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I'd like to process my turkeys by next weekend, but I cannot find any shrink wrap bags or other suitable bags for them! I only have 9 turkeys, and some of them are very large. Cornerstone Farm is out of stock right now. Does anyone have any other option? If anyone has a large supply I'd love to buy some from you. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Well, I did find some fairly inexpensive plastic bags at Meyer Hatchery if I can't find anything else. [​IMG]

3. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    Not turkey, but when I want to freeze a large hunk o' deer or a whole wild turkey, I just process as normal, wrap in a LOT of saran wrap, then wrap with Freezer Paper (in the grocery store, by the Saran wrap and tin foil). Meat stays good, looks nice if you are good at wrapping, and you can write on it with marker [​IMG]

4. TyrannosaurusChix

TyrannosaurusChix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2010
    Savannah, NY
    get crafty and cut open the bags you do have and seal them together so they are big enough??

5. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Thanks, I may have to do that.

6. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    I just called our local meat locker (but they don't do poultry) and he gave me the name of a guy locally that has bags. [​IMG]

7. Mrs. Mucket

Mrs. Mucket Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I have the same problem and just bought some freezer paper--I thought I'd wrap them in that and then put in several plastic grocery bags. But that doesn't allow for vacuum pack which is also my preference.

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    just recently somebody on here mentioned heat shrink bags . . . something like you put the large bird in the bag and then dunk it in hot water and it shrinks to the carcass. sounded good to me.

9. aggieterpkatie

Apr 26, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Yep, those were the ones I wanted to buy from Cornerstone. Seems they're always out! Just my luck...[​IMG]

10. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by