"Shrink wrap" vs. "Sticky chick"?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChestnutRidge, Apr 24, 2011.

1. GraceHomestead

GraceHomestead Songster

Jun 21, 2016
    Ok I had 5 chicks hatch this morning.
    Can you tell me why one of the eggs looks different then the others on the inside?
    Was it starting to shrinkwrap or something else?
    Normal egg
    [​IMG]
    Different egg
    [​IMG]

2. Alaskaduck

Alaskaduck Chirping

May 1, 2017
    IMG_2413.JPG Is this a sticky duckling? It piped about 48 hours ago and this is its progress. Most others are out of their shells already.

3. Tacampbell1973

Tacampbell1973 Songster

May 26, 2013
    Washington State
    So glad I happened upon these articles. I have traversed solo through all of these problems myself without ever having a name for them or even knowing someone else out there could give some hope! I assume everyone else reading these posts, like me, feels the loss of a chick, I go so far as to take every one of them personally. Good to have this page now bookmarked as well as the article I followed from to get here!

4. Compost King

Compost King Free Ranging

Apr 19, 2018
    Salisbury, North Carolina
    Shrinkwrapped chicks were way too common in my earlier hatches. Now I do not open the Incubator until it looks like all eggs are done hatching. Last hatch there were 4 still hatching but they were under all the chicks running around. All 4 shrink wrapped. 3 out of 4 survived because I hand hatched them, zippered their egg for them pulled off the cap loosened them up and put the cap back on. For some reason if I make them break out on their own they survive. When I used to completely pull them out they did not survive.

5. Kiki

Kiki Is your thermometer calibrated?

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    :caf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: