Shrink wrapped ducklings?

agregg15

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Connecticut
Hi everyone, I was just wondering how to know if a duckling is becoming "shrink wrapped" during hatching. The membrane isn't stuck to the shell and it's tightly wrapped around the duckling. Is this normal?

I don't think so if it's white and looks like paper more than likely shrink wrapped. but i don't hatch in a bator so I maybe wrong, trying to remember all I have read. Hope someone else comes along to help you.
hello, i just went through that very same thing. and im about 99% sure it is shrink wrapped. you WILL have to intervene....i could here my duckling peeping and pecking yesterday morning. i candled him...something didn't look quite right....but being a first time incubatorer....i wasn't positive.. so i let him be...WRONG decision...i candled him this morning...no progress.....no movement.....the "air cell" appeared to be a bit large. sooooo my MOMMA instinct said ...this doesnt look right. i got my nerve up and decided to open the egg...very very carefully....immediately i noticed the shell was very brittle/dry. the
membrane was very dry and paper like....i very carefully proceded....there was no active blood veins...i proceeded....i got the shell peeled back enough to see....
My poor baby was indeed SHRINK WRAPPED. and died. I WAS TO LATE INTERVENING
this tells me......there was not enough humidity maintained in the incubator and it kept fluctuating...i had a crazy hard time getting that humidity constant...i know thats very important...
again this was my first time incubating...i am by no means a professional....
i felt so bad ...
i hope this helps ....good luck with your baby

Hi everyone, I was just wondering how to know if a duckling is becoming "shrink wrapped" during hatching. The membrane isn't stuck to the shell and it's tightly wrapped around the duckling. Is this normal?

I don't think so if it's white and looks like paper more than likely shrink wrapped. but i don't hatch in a bator so I maybe wrong, trying to remember all I have read. Hope someone else comes along to help you.

Thank you! It is white and papery. I hope they make it. The third was dead when I candled it and it looks like it died of suffocation upon further investigation. I'm keeping the humidity up high and spraying them every so often.

Thank you! It is white and papery. I hope they make it. The third was dead when I candled it and it looks like it died of suffocation upon further investigation. I'm keeping the humidity up high and spraying them every so often.
Good idea, I know Quacker jack farm was helping you earlier she is one of the best for info I am going to see if i can find her for you.

Sounds like they're shrink wrapped. There's been a lot of that going on lately with my hatching friends. How far along are they in the hatching process? Meaning how did you see inside. And what day are they on?

Sounds like they're shrink wrapped. There's been a lot of that going on lately with my hatching friends. How far along are they in the hatching process? Meaning how did you see inside. And what day are they on?

There you are, thank goodness!
hugs.gif

Sounds like shrink wrap, I'm with QJ. Have you made a very small hole in the middle of the round end to peek in and see what the shape of things are?

If hes wrapped, your gonna have to sterilize something (I keep rubbing alcohol, paper towels, and a litltle plastic bowl near. IF your sure they are totally due today or sooner, make a small hole, look in. if its bright paper white, then baby will have trouble gettin gout. I start with locating the beak with my finger (clean) through a very small open end (big end). once you find beak, if you can, be SURE there is not blood vessils over it. I make a very small hole, and be sure beak is out. If beak is out, the tiny breathing hole will be enough for now.

Take a pic of what you have, and post it.

Back
Top Bottom