Shrink-wrapped (so called)

fc

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 24, 2010
The first chick of this batch was what I suspect is called, "Shrink wrapped." The membrane was dry and attached to the bird. Solution- I spritzed the chick with water a few times to soften it. We removed the membrane that could be easily removed. The chick needed help hatching because it was bound up by membrane and couldn't get loose. Doing well right now.

I had one that was shrink-wrapped from opening the incubator during lockdown. That chick survived being shrink-wrapped and still being in the eggshell for about a day before I took the others out. That's when I found it.

I took the chick and soaked it in a cup of warm water for a few seconds. Not the head, but the rest of the chick. After I picked the shell and membrane off, I put it back in the incubator to keep it warm while it dried off. The fuzz was matted down in several places for 4 or 5 days, but it survived and did well. I gave it, along with its hatchmates, to a broody hen. She accepted it with no problems. It just looked funny for a few days with the fuzz matted down.

Little guy/gal is doing well. I guess that's how one learns- just trying. I'm wasn't sure that helping a chick that was bound up by membrane would work, but wetting it, just as you did, except I used a spritzer, did work.

Help..

How could you tell the chick was shrink wrapped? Where you able to tell by candling? I am worried about one of mine.. It's mom got off the nest with the other chicks, candled it still moving brought it in put it in the incubator with other eggs that go into lock down on Friday. It started to pip, I still had to open incubator to rotate the other eggs.. It started to pip its shell opened the incubator to rotate the other eggs realized it had started, now the hole is not any bigger. At what point should I begin to worry about it being shrink wrapped? And possibly help it out of the shell? I hope this one hatches soon.
fl.gif

Christal

I gave the chick overnight once there was a little hole. I opened the hole a bit more and saw space between the membrane and the shell. I knew I had nothing to loose breaking off shell that was not touching the chick. I then saw it's head with membrane stuck tightly to it. I eased off most of the rest of the shell. I then took the shell and chick to the sink and ran a bit at a time of warm water. The chick didn't care for that, but it loosened the membrane. I pulled off what I could. The poor thing had one eye and most of head covered in membrane. If I hadn't removed it from the shell it would have died. I wet a Q-tip and periodically moistened the membrane, then got it off. The chick is doing great.

I'm thinking low humidity. Too dry means shrinkage, and the membrane was dry like leather, just a lot thinner.

It's easy enough to see which one was shrink wrapped. And that is after picking at it for 45 minutes!!! Her name is Elmer and she is a gorgeous little banty white crested black polish.

14951_img_2288.jpg

Elmerine, as I'll call her looks a little beat up!

Back
Top Bottom