1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Shuffles has Disappeared!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kayri, Jan 17, 2008.

1. kayri

kayri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    Shuffles our dominant 8 month old BO has disappeared!. I saw her at 4 pm when I fed them some oatmeal, we went to the library and the store, and when we got back at 5, all the others were in the coop, but she wasn't. They free range around my yard.

Has anyone had a hen that disappeared and then comes back? How often does this happen? We are worried sick about her (kids crying) and looked everwhere (with a flashlight) for some sign of her. This is the first time she hasn't come back to the coop at night!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Two options, broody hiding or predators meal. Hope she comes back.

3. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    THis just happened to us with a silkie! Turns out she was sitting on a nest under our deck with 13 eggs!! In freezing cold! We had feared the worst though for a day.
    I hope yours comes back!

4. kayri

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    Oh, I can't imagine an 8 month old BO going broody. I was hoping she had just decided to spend the night out and will show in the morning. Am I hoping against hope?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

A Buff Orp who has just started laying will go broody. Mine did a month into laying. So it is possible. And I hope that's all it is.

6. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I had a 7 month old sex-link go broody. I'm holding out hope for your happy ending.

7. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    Chickens do the craziest things. Check around your house and property for anywhere she could get stuck. A wood pile, flower pots, the garage or any tight spot. Hopefully she will show up tomorrow. 8 months old is enough to go broody. Leave food & water somewhere outside as well. My hen Lucky disappeared for 2 weeks once. She was sitting on eggs in the brush 100 yds away. I got my fingers crossed 4 U.

8. kayri

Jul 6, 2007
    RI
    Thanks everyone for the encouraging words. We will comb the neighborhood tomorrowand then lock up those chickens inside that electric fence (that they will gleefuly fly over the minute I turn my back).

9. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I agree with LCRT, you'd be surprised where they'll go.

I once left the big door to the run open, but closed the people door to the house. For some reason all of my chickens got confused. Some roosted right there, near the door. A few flew (somehow?) into a tree behind. I spent 1/2 an hr searching trees for my little roo. And my d'anvers pullet kept roosting under a piece of plywood leaning against the back of the coop.

Just look around, and don't give up until you find her or are certain she can't be found.

Meghan

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I hope Shuffles shows up! Please keep us updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by