Shut the Duck up! Quiet types of ducks? Anyone?

I agree muscovy are very quiet, they mostly whisper to each other and don't quack, they also roost like chickens and don't require as much water for swimming. They range well and are gentle pest control.

It should be noted that if you go with muscovies they are a separate species than the mallard derivatives. If they breed the offspring will be infertile.

I don't know that it matters to you, but i think it's worth mentioning.

I only have cayugas. The chosen "talker" of the group is the only loud one. She climbs the pond ramp and calls reveille for the other hens every morning. If I take too long going outside in the morning or afternoon she will quack fuss at me.

The only time the entire group quacks is when I'm at the gate to let them out.

They hoot and coo and make piggy noises at each other while foraging. The talker for each foraging group will occasionally quack out some thing that sounds like "any tasty noms?" And the other groups answer back.

I've got broody hens and they'll sass quack me when I'm herding them around the yard. This is the quack I find most annoying because they're just yelling protests at me on loop until they're back in the pen.

I've had construction done at home and the workers say they were quiet all day until we got home from work.

Well. I'm getting an order of one cayuga and one swedish blue later this month. I'm hoping they can be raised quietly-er than miss Kilo. I greatly appreciate all the input so far! And I will definitely share my results of my ducklings and ducks when they arrive. It's been so rainy here this week, my ducks are in hog-heaven with all the rain. I have to install a pond at some point, I'm just a little afraid of the maintenance because of giant duck-poops in the water. My guy wants to put koi in a pond, but the poops part is what is turning him off. (I'm more worried about misquotes.)

Koi will die in duck poop water. I agree putting in something that moves the water surface continuously will not allow mosquitoes to lay their eggs.

Water walking bugs need still waters to maintain the surface tension. Moving water disturbs them.

Back
Top Bottom