Shutting off the heat lamp

Azriel

Songster
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Montana
So do you just shut it off, or wean them off by having it off during the day, and on at night for a few days. My chicks are , wow, 8 weeks and fully feathered. I don't know why they still have a light and arn't out side, but?? I want to put them out, but was thinking that maybe I should get them used to not having the light at night for a week, not just shut off the light and put them out all at once.
I know its 100 degrees out and they don't need a light, but, its cool in my basement, and they peep like their being killed when I try to shut it off.

I kept mine with the lamp raised a little higher every day after 8 weeks. I think they jut liked the "safe red glow" more than the heat itself. Mine were in the basement as well. I don't see anything wrong with them having it a little longer
smile.png
I would turn it off during the day and let them have it at night for a few days then have them go without altogether, maybe? Can you get a red LED tap light for inside the coop?

Quote:
Not sure how cool you're basement is, but, I had them in the outdoor coop at 4 weeks (in a box), light on all the time every few days raising it up till eventually at 8 weeks they were free of the box and it was only on at night (or if I deemed it too cold for little chicks) This was April through May. In June basically stopped using a light all together. Occationally I'll throw on the red LED and my hubby and I plan on installing a light timer throughout the fall winter months (maybe even pop that heat lamp back in for those colder CT days)

As chickylove suggested, all that cheeping is more about the security of the light than the heat itself. But yes, turn that lamp off during the day, for a few days, and raise it way up at night for those few nights, then transfer them outside. If you don't have power outside, try one of the those little battery operated push lights for their coop for nighttime if - as much for you as for them really, cause you never know when you might have to visit the coop.

They are going to holler when it is suddenly dark, but not for long. It would probably do no harm to just put them outside without any transition. If you'd rather do some transition, I'd imitate normal light by having light (make sure it doesn't add heat) during the day and none at night. You might have loud basement for a night or two, though.

I found really good inexpensive LED taplights at Walmart 2 for $5 and ended up buying about 10 or so of them. I have them stuck inside the coop and outside the coop. The chickens learned how to put themselves to bed on day two in the coop. In the morning I found them snuggles together by the lights inside. They were fine
smile.png
If your chickies are 8 weeks old, they should probably be outside doing their chicky thing. So much fun to watch!

Maybe I'm off a bit but being summer here and with the day temps up to 80+ their sleeping box stays warm and I never even turned the brooder box heat lamp on at all. They are all doing just fine. Think of all the chicks in the world that never saw a light at all and survived with no issues.

They are going to holler when it is suddenly dark, but not for long. It would probably do no harm to just put them outside without any transition.

Thats it. Cut off the light and let 'em holler for a little while. Next night, no problem. No transition at all.

Think of all the chicks in the world that never saw a light at all and survived with no issues.

Nobody ever heard of putting lights on chickens prior to 1950 or so. Had a lot of chickens back then too.​

I shut the heat light off. But I had to give them a litte night light. My poor babies were afraid of the dark. I'll let them have the nite light for a day or two, then I'll put them out with their night lite for a few days untill I know they are ok. I know I'll have to check on them several times the first few nights.

Quote:
My two year olds STILL have a nightlight...lol. It just makes me feel better to know that they have a tiny bit of visability - plus I feel that a light helps deter potential predators. PLUS, if you ever have to run out at night time, YOU have a tiny bit of visability.

Back
Top Bottom