Shy chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mc79, Aug 18, 2016.

1. mc79

mc79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    In my flock, I have 4 Rhode Island Reds (6 weeks old), 1 White Leghorn, 1 Silver-Laced Wyandotte (both 5 weeks old), and 1 Naked Neck (3 weeks old). My 4 Reds are very sociable. The love attention from me and my family, love to be pet and be around us. They have been that way since I got them when they were only days old. The Leghorn, Wyandotte, and Naked Neck are the exact opposite. They are utterly terrified of humans. I have tried to gain their trust by letting them feed out of my hand, but that hasn't worked either. I figured maybe it was a phase that would pass, but hasn't. I have read that these breeds are very friendly and sociable with humans, but I also understand that each bird has their own personality.

I was just wondering if anyone else has birds like that. Do they eventually come around to being sociable, or is it typically permanent?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Leghorns are known for being flighty. I've found that pullets become more tolerant of people once they begin to lay. I've had hens that would go crazy if i even as much as approached them, let alone try and pick them up and others that follow me around the garden and tolerate being picked up. As you say, temperament is not only a breed trait, but down to each individual bird - some may change, others may not.

CT

3. mc79

mc79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    Thanks CTKen. Hopefully they will come around. And if not, that's ok too. The Naked Neck chick was picked by my 6 year old daughter, so she considers that one to be "all hers" (that she named Hot Dog, because it's hairless neck looks like a hot dog). She's been disappointed that she can't get close enough to pet her. We'll just keep spending as much time with them as we can and maybe earn their trust over time.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You are most welcome and I'd say thats the best that you can do and keep your fingers crossed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by