Sick 12 day old chick?

scorwin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
My little barred rock just started to be a little lethargic yesterday afternoon. She's drinking but I haven't seen her eat. She is just sitting on a little roost I have in the brooder with the 5 other (very active) chicks. She's not acting like the others this morning at all. What should I do. No vet around here that I know about. She peeps when I pick her up but doesn't try to get away. Eyes bright, Poop is runny.
HELP. These are my first chicks.

Update. still very lethargic. Won't eat, crop a little spongy but not big. Other chicks very active, running around in brooder, preening, scratching and pecking. This one just sitting on roost with eyes closed at times. This started all of a sudden late yesterday afternoon. I mean from one minute to the next! What could be wrong??? Help, I'm a new chick owner!

I'm having the same problem with my 9 day old barred rock. She's just sitting away from the other birds , not eating or drinking. Her breathing seems heavier. She is vocalizing when the other birds come over to her.

Melon, how is your chic? Mine is about the same/ I got some electrolyte water and vitamins to add to water but if they won't drink, what do you do!!

Hi,

Day 1-First, I got another smaller container to put her in there in case she was contagious. To feed her water, I use a little eye dropper ( like from a children's Tylenol bottle, or you can get one at a drug store) I hold her and touch the tip of her beak with the dropper that has a little electrolyte water hanging off the end. She actually drinks a little at a time and seems thirsty sometimes. I keep this up until she "tells" me that it's enough. I repeat this every 1/2 hr or so, nothing rigid, I just don't want to add too much stress. I worry about dehydration more than anything
Day 2-Kept up with the water. She did move a little more and eat some food a little, but usually stood there breathing heavily and looking generally miserable.
Day 3- I put her back in with the other chicks because I don't think she has a contagious disease. She just might not be thriving for other reasons. SHe peeps a lot, but it sounds different from the other birds and it goes on and on at times.

Hopefully our chicks will pull through. How is yours now?

I've named mine Millicent. It means strong so I hope she is! I don't think mine has anything contagious either. Her trouble is internal. Her crop don't seem to empty. This morning it was huge but soft. I held her upside down and pressed on it and she brought up a lot of water. She's drinking but it's not going past her stomach. So I don't know what to do. It doesn't seem good to me. there has to be a clog at the other end of the stomach. I asked my vet (Large animals only) to find me the name of an Aviary vet. Mine acts normal at times and she is pecking at some food a little and drinking. But she isn't very active like the others.

Millicent (Millie)

I lost little Millicent this evening. She wouldn't eat or drink anything I tried to give her any more. She got weaker and weaker and just slept away . Very sad.

Back
Top Bottom