Sick 3 week old ISA Brown (slightly drooling/lethargic)

tgmoore

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2022
We have 4 chickens in our brooder. 3 days ago our ISA brown jumped and hit the screen at the top of the brooder fairly hard (screens 20 inches or so high). After she hit it she started acting lethargic. She isn't wobbly yet but she closes her eyes often while typically standing upright. 2 days ago I noticed she's got drool around her beak. She's still eating and drink but nowhere near as often as our other 3 chicks. We have been giving her electrolyte mixed water starting yesterday. Has anyone had something similar? Were not sure if the leap is causing the symptoms or if she's just sick.

Go with the obvious. She was injured when she tried to fly out of the brooder, a signal by the way that these chicks are ready for outdoor time.

Continue giving the electrolytes and maybe mix a little extra sugar in. Vitamin E oil mixed into soft boiled egg for a few days may help heal any injured brain tissue. B-complex added to the water will help as well.

Please post a photo of the chick so we might assess her condition for ourselves.

Go with the obvious. She was injured when she tried to fly out of the brooder, a signal by the way that these chicks are ready for outdoor time.

Continue giving the electrolytes and maybe mix a little extra sugar in. Vitamin E oil mixed into soft boiled egg for a few days may help heal any injured brain tissue. B-complex added to the water will help as well.

Please post a photo of the chick so we might assess her condition for ourselves.
Thank you for the response. We live in Virginia and have taken all the chicks outside 5 or so times already when we get nicer days. I'm attaching 3 Thank you for the response. We live in Virginia and have taken all the chicks outside 5 or so times already when we get nicer days. I'm attaching 3 photos so you can see. Her drool seems to have cleared up. Shes still eating and drinking just less than the others and shes still just as lethargic.
20220323_191158.jpg
20220323_191125.jpg
20220323_191113.jpg
20220323_191158.jpg
20220323_191125.jpg
20220323_191113.jpg

Sometimes it's a mistake to assume something is cause and effect when it's just coincidence. I'm going to correct that now by suggesting this chick may be constipated and not this way solely due to hitting the brooder cover.

At any rate, treating for it is not harmful in any way, so I suggest giving the chick coconut oil just in case. I hope you have some because it's easier and much safer than liquid oil.

Measure out one teaspoon of coconut oil, divide into pea size pieces and chill until solid. Feed each piece into the chick's beak until all one teaspoon is inside the chick.

By the way, when chicks are indoors in a heated house, they no longer require any heat during the day at this age.

Back
Top Bottom