Sick 4 Week Old Chick.....

danielle2003

Songster
Apr 27, 2021
Langley, Oklahoma
My four week old chick is sitting hunched up, with her eyes closed. Then she will suddenly open her beak and stretch her neck, as if she's choking. She also has a clear liquid coming from her mouth. She has been like this on and off for the last 2 days. What can I do to help her? All the stores are closed right now, so I can't go buy any medicine or anything for her. I am really worried for her!!

Have you looked inside her beak to see if there's anything stuck?
Crop is empty?
Able to poop/eat/drink? What's the poop look like?

Photos?

Sounds like she may have a blockage. You can try giving her some coconut oil to see if that helps get things moving.

Have you looked inside her beak to see if there's anything stuck?
Crop is empty?
Able to poop/eat/drink? What's the poop look like?

Photos?

Sounds like she may have a blockage. You can try giving her some coconut oil to see if that helps get things moving.
I don't have any photos. But when she did poop last night, it looked normal. She acts fine on and off, I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but she mainly acts this way at night. I'll try giving her coconut oil. What she have that is blocking her? The bedding she's in pine shavings. I also give her grit to help with digestion.

Is she adjusting her crop? Birds sometimes do that when they are settling for the night.

If you can get a video of it that would be good - upload video to youtube and provide a link.

For the last 3 nights now she has been acting this way. What is weird is she acts fine during the day, but at night, she puffs up, closes her eyes and has this clear liquid coming from her mouth. But the next morning, she's fine. What could be going on? She is the smallest out of all the rest. I have been giving them chick grit, for their digestion, but because she's the smallest, could she have that stuck or something? I am at a loss for what's going on. I would really appreciate any advice!

Have you looked inside her beak for obstruction?
I have opened her beak, and I can't see anything in it that could be blocking her. She didn't have a weird or pungent smell either when I opened her mouth, so I don't think she has sour crop. Here are the list of symptoms she has currently:
Shaking her head
Stretching out her neck
Mouth gaped open
Loud occasional shrieking
Clear discharge from beak
Lethargy
Loss of appetite
Puffed up
Eyes closed
Difficulty pecking/swallowing
Unsteadiness

She's alsp very thin, and smaller than all the rest.
I have heard of respiratory diseases such as Crazy Chick Disease and Aspergillosis. I have also thought of Gapeworm, as all these have similar symptoms. I put ACV in their water, and have also given her colloidal silver.

Back
Top Bottom