sick 4 yo chicken

Gannon Coop

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2017
hello. we have a girl who is 4 years old, we have three others all orginal. Our sick girl, Tonks is lethargic. I found her this morning on top of the coop, sitting in her own pee and poop. super lethargic. i put her down by the water but was not drinking. i read that it could be her impacted crop. it feels larger than I am used to, and you can feel its like the size of an egg, smooshy, with "grit" inside. any suggestions? thank you.

It does sound like she is having impacted crop. Older hens can get crop problems along with other problems, such as reproductive disorders or water belly. Is her tail position up or down? Is her lower belly between her legs enlarged? Has she laid eggs recently? What does her poop look like? What have you been feeding her? Does she have poultry grit available? Poultry NutriDrench is a good boost for electrolytes and vitamins, and I would try to get her drinking fluids. You can also chill a tsp of coconut oil, and cut it into small pieces to offer your hen. Then massage her crop several times a day. This article may help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Back
Top Bottom