Sick 6-7 week old chicks. Please help

BB means Big Buff

Last edited:
My first sick chick! They are 6 weeks old and we just moved the coop outside. Heat lamp and all
smile.png
. One of the Buff Orpingtons is way bigger than the others and has a bigger cone and red flappy things on each side. (Please don't be a Rooster!)

We put them and the coop in the backyard Friday and for two days they all ran around pecking just fine. Then Sunday I noticed the BB was in the coop perched by the heat lamp and it wasn't cold outside. From Sunday to this morning she/he wants to sit in a nesting box or stay inside. She is eating the chick food and drinking fine but her poo looks a little light. Her eyes and beak are clear, she isn't drooping her head or feathers. Only thing is she walks real slow and won't snatch treats from me or the ground like she did 3 days ago. Other chicks are doing great.

Any suggestions? Oh and I do put 1 Tabelspoon of apple cider vinegar per gallon of water for them and I think that's why I never had a pasty butt problem. I'm hoping maybe she just ate something in the yard that didn't agree with her...

with those symptoms, I would bring her inside to the ICU unit asap. The warmth could make all the difference if she's fighting off a minor cold or something. I would give vitamins (nutridrench) asap, and offer her chick starter and maybe some oatmeal, too. Oatmeal can help firm up the poop and it is a little easier to digest than chick starter which has multiple ingredients.

I would just keep her inside for a day or 2 and observe her, making sure she's getting food, water, and vitamins (nutridrench). Often we don't catch chicken sickness until it's too late, so when you think you see something, it's always best to act sooner than later.

you can also weigh her now to monitor weight loss/gain. does she seem strong (fighting kicking legs) or weak when you catch and hold her?

keep us posted! cute pics too!

Last edited:
Nutri-drench is also great to keep on hand for ailing chicks and chickens. It worked wonders for a couple of my chicks when they were younger. It doesn't require digesting like most of the other stuff does, but is absorbed right into the bloodstream. It runs about 6.99 a bottle!

I just got home from work and "he" was sitting on back of legs and his mouth was open. I made up a gallon of water with the Rooster Booster vitamin & Nutrient pellet in it and he is drinking it. Can't get him to eat while I'm watching but I just got here so he might...

He bent over the oatmeal like he was gonna eat some and a stream of clear liquid came out of his mouth :(

Tappy, the only nutri drench they had was for cattle not chickens . I will have to check elsewhere. My bird is drinking a good bit and eating some. It even went out and pecked the ground a bit then laid down to rest. I sure hope he will be ok :(

Tappy, the only nutri drench they had was for cattle not chickens . I will have to check elsewhere. My bird is drinking a good bit and eating some. It even went out and pecked the ground a bit then laid down to rest. I sure hope he will be ok
sad.png

there is another brand, called Poly Vi Sol. same stuff as NutriDrench, contains vitamins and selenium (helps vitamin absorbtion).

you should post this over in the Emergencies section asap where you will probably get more helpful feedback

there is another brand, called Poly Vi Sol. same stuff as NutriDrench, contains vitamins and selenium (helps vitamin absorbtion).

you should post this over in the Emergencies section asap where you will probably get more helpful feedback

If you get the Poly Vi Sol (baby vitamin) make sure to get the one WITHOUT iron.

Back
Top Bottom