Sick 6-7 year old EE

Yabadabadoo

Songster
Jan 9, 2021
Phoenix, AZ
Hey folks, I’ve got a sick chicken here and hoping for suggestions. She is my only adult bird left from a flock of four (the last one died over a year ago). She free ranges during the day in our jr acre treed, grass yard. She is and easter egger between 6-7 years old, and was a part of a rehomed flock I adopted when they were 2-3. She just started laying again about a month ago, most recent egg 4-5 days ago (I think...sometimes we just don’t find them).

Yesterday afternoon I realized ai hadn’t seen her wandering the yard so around 230/3 pm I checked her coop and she was roosting. Normally she is terrified of me, but although she gave her initial team try to grt away, she was easy to catch, and was docile the rest of the time I was handling her. She is sleepy and only moderately responsive.

I checked her physically and no sign of injury, she did have poop caked on her rear and also some on her crest. I gave her a warm water sponge back and removed the clumped poop, making sure she did not have a prolapsed vent or anything along those lines. No external signs of damage. I didn’t fee anything that registered as a stuck egg and she didn’t express any tenderness while I was grooming her.

She is not eating or drinking that i have observed. I gave her some electrolytes and probiotics yesterday with an eyedropper, but didnt get her to drink much. Is there a trick to getting liquids in a chicken’s mouth other than trickling it on their beaks?

I made her a scrambled egg and she showed no interest. Again, thoughts about incentivizing her to eat?

I appreciate any feedback. I’ve been lucky in that my adult flock has really been completely healthy, so I am pretty new to chicken doctoring. (I am raising my first chicks now, they are 8-12 weeks and She can see but not touch them in their enclosed run.)

Morning update: She was still roosting when we checed her this morning around 730; since then she has nigrated under the favorite bush (where she often hangs out). I put a scrambled egg, some electrolyte soaked scratch, and a grated apple trying to incentivize eating.

Attachments

• F57F11C5-6D3F-483F-880A-9C49647AB7B4.jpeg
    F57F11C5-6D3F-483F-880A-9C49647AB7B4.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 3
I’m not sure but my old hen lived to about 8 it may just be old age she’s beautiful
Thank you. Yes, she has been a gorgeous, healthy bird, and has given my family probably 900 eggs over the past 4+ years. I figure there may be a handful of things that are easy to trouble shoot for and then...maybe it os just her time as she slows down. I was super surprised when she started laying again in January.

Thank you. Yes, she has been a gorgeous, healthy bird, and has given my family probably 900 eggs over the past 4+ years. I figure there may be a handful of things that are easy to trouble shoot for and then...maybe it os just her time as she slows down. I was super surprised when she started laying again in January.
That`s amazing I`m sure she`s been really comfortable

Back
Top Bottom