Sick Americana, need ideas.

Tenderft chick

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
Minnesota
Hi not sure what is going on but as I was leaving for work my Americana was flopping around and holding head to one side. Couldn't do much, the other chickens are actually leaving her alone not picking on her, but 2 days ago we had to wash her down due to having a very poopy but and clean that up. Any ideas?

Didn't get to spend a lot of time as late for work not really standing, tried to get her to stand and walk again as I only saw out of my eye.

Thanks.

DH stopped and checked up on her this pm. She was walking but drunkenly, he let her in the yard and she is eating. I had him give her some Wazine and dust with DE as precautions. He gave her some corn which she ate. But still don't have a clue as to what is happening.

Help

Evening update, so DH put Wazine in water while she was outside. She is now in second coop with chicken that somehow dislocated let, still haven't figured what she got leg caught on, she is walking better and crowing to get outside and with the other chicks, unfortunately they are still attacking her, so keeping her separate except in visual contact now with others as she continues to heal.

Anyways on Americana, tail feathers still held high, she is looking feisty still when she saw the one above she had that attack look on her face but she is still wobbly and such. Have not seen before. Any ideas. Will put her on another dewormer after a week to give time for the Wazine to work.

Will try some scambled egg tomorrow.

Hi Tenderft chick,

I'm sorry you're experiencing such a mystery!

The things I can think of as possibilities include something in her inner ear causing balance trouble and distress (e.g. infection, mites), and of course unfortunately some of the tumour diseases (but I'd think they'd come on the bird slowly with some prior warning first). Other possibilities are brain injury or something toxic she's eaten. It's quite a list I'm sorry.

The head on the side thing can also be nutritional (i.e. a form of 'stargazing') but I would think that's highly uncommon in an adult hen. Still you might try vitamins in the water.

I'd isolate her and keep her quiet, give TLC and maybe vitamins, and reassess. Perhaps a few drops of oil in the ear could rule out mites (by smothering them). You'd need to hold her head on one side to make sure the oil runs into each ear.

best wishes, sorry I can't be more helpful,
Erica

DH had to cull her this morning. Last night she was flopping on the ground when he went to close up the coops, he would have taken care of her last night but it was sooo late and he couldn't just break her neck and I was out cold from allergy medicine to help the other way by holding light, we had her separated into one by herself. This morning I went out and she was standing in the corner with her head between her legs and she didn't respond to me. I am thinking now she may have had an impacted crop, but can't say for sure as I couldn't do a necropsy. I did palpate the crop and it was pretty full. I am going to miss her she was a gorgeous color. She is actually the one on the right in my picture.

Now we are just trying to reintroduce our other Americana that injured its leg. Pulled our mean barred rock that and left with our buff orpington for now.

Back
Top Bottom