Sick and dying chicken

drjpb3

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
I had a chicken that I found hiding and when I pulled her out the other chickens attacked her and tried killing her. After picking her up she was vomiting and week. She later that day died. I am concerned about her death because she was the sweetest chicken ever. She has been my daughters baby for 6 years. But my biggest concern was why the others attacked her. Some of them have been with her there entire life and never had an issue. Why

ChicKat

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
I had a chicken that I found hiding and when I pulled her out the other chickens attacked her and tried killing her. After picking her up she was vomiting and week. She later that day died. I am concerned about her death because she was the sweetest chicken ever. She has been my daughters baby for 6 years. But my biggest concern was why the others attacked her. Some of them have been with her there entire life and never had an issue. Why
Welcome to BYC!

What a sad thing. Sometimes I think (this is my opinion - I don't have scientific research) chickens - or other animals will attack one that is weak and sick. It seems horrific to us -- but perhaps it is even preferable to having a disease ravage the rest of the flock - and bad as it is prevents them from a long and painful suffering....

Top Bottom