Sick auction chicken

What are the others ages of your chickens and how many in your flock? Are they all adultsor do you also have new hatches and plan to have a lot of babies? I know its a tough decision you want to provide for the new hen, but at the same time protect your others from being chronically ill.

On one hand adult chickens are fairly hardy and once the illness goes dormant, they should lay eggs, stay healthy, and not be contagious. On the other hand, cold weather and other stress can make the illness chronic, contagious, and affect their laying and require more time for care. But adults are pretty strong immune systems and disease resistent compared to babies.

I would 100% consider the illness as stress induced because of the moving and new environment, but that doesn't mean it isnt a chronic condition from an illness that may be contagious. In my experience raising 100 birds a year, the illness I see only passes on to babies and they grow out of it. I dont see any sick adults, but your conditions will vary from mine.

She's a lovely hen.
I know it's a hard call. Do your research on the most common diseases - Mycoplasma and Infectious Bronchitis and make your decision.
If budget allows, get testing to find out more.

Most all respiratory diseases make birds carriers for life, except for Infectious Bronchitis which can last up to year. The illnesses affect the reproductive system, egg quality, hatch rates, production, etc., so there are some long term "unseen" affects.
Birds can become symptomatic during times of stress - weather changes, molting, changes within the flock. Birds do not have to be symptomatic to spread the illnesses, they are spread through shared water and feed, in feces, in dust/dander, feathers, shoes/clothes and equipment.

Infectious Bronchitis is one known cause of Viral form of Salpingitis (Lash Egg), not every hen will have Salpingitis.

Mycoplasma is both transmitted vertically and horizontally, meaning the disease can be passed into the embryo of hatching eggs which can affect hatch rates, but hatched chicks would be considered carriers as well, even if they never show symptoms, but you may notice general unthriftiness, stunting, etc. in those that successfully hatch. Horizontal spread is also through dust/dander, feces, bird to bird transmission, etc.
Having Mycoplasma in a flock, folks keep a closed flock and if they continue to have outbreaks, manage symptoms with an antibiotic like Tiamulin given for 3 days each month.

Bottom line is to consider your goals for keeping chickens.
I'm very sorry that you face this. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

I agree with Wyorp it's very kind of you to "rescue" a chicken but is it worth placing your " pet" flock in Jeopardy? For me the answer is no. I've read of so many that integrate then whole flock gets sick. I'm like Eggcessive only buy from hatcheries( guaranteed) it's their business to raise healthy ones.
Good luck whatever you decide, it's a tough call.

Any bird with a respiratory issue here gets culled as they are carriers for life and stress bring it back out as there is no cure. And I havent had an issue since I stopped buying other peoples birds. auctions are one of the worst places for sick animals then again its actually meant for people buying birds to eat not keep. Same with craigslist gotten birds from people there and they also had mg and was culled. Never had an issue with hatcheries I will take the time to raise them up instead of taking chances with peoples adult old birds

I have varying ages. Most will be a year at the end of March. Then I let two broody hens hatch a few babies in October and 2 in December. I enjoy letting the broody hens hatch babies. But if this is something contagious and makes them life carriers I wouldn’t be able to continue to do that and be able to rehome the roosters if I kept her. I think I just need to figure out how to get her tested. I’d rather pay to get peace of mind in whatever decision I have to make. But I read that having given her antibiotics might affect the results. I truly appreciate each and every one of you commenting and giving me advice.

I have varying ages. Most will be a year at the end of March. Then I let two broody hens hatch a few babies in October and 2 in December. I enjoy letting the broody hens hatch babies. But if this is something contagious and makes them life carriers I wouldn’t be able to continue to do that and be able to rehome the roosters if I kept her. I think I just need to figure out how to get her tested. I’d rather pay to get peace of mind in whatever decision I have to make. But I read that having given her antibiotics might affect the results. I truly appreciate each and every one of you commenting and giving me advice.
Be aware some places if a bird comes back with mg will you will have to culled the entire flock

I got a chicken from auction. I realize now this was probably a mistake. She was quarantined 9 days before she went from fine to sick. Rattled/congested breathing. No foamy eye, no facial swelling. She’s still active and eating and drinking fine. I went and got Tylan after reading through the forums and started treating her. She has improved but still not 100%. She doesn’t sound rattled/congested like she did but is still doing some open mouthed breathing. My question is, should I cull her? I just have a small flock. They are pets. I’m fairly new to raising birds and while I’ve lost a few, I’ve never had a sick one and never had to cull. Is there a chance she recovers and isn’t a lifelong carrier of something that will infect my entire flock? I don’t know what to do!
I’m not an expert but I had 3 baby chicks that died of a respiratory infection with exact symptoms as you. I used tetracycline and my other 3 are doing great. I could only find the injectable one but I put it into a nebulizer. Good luck with your flock! I’ll be praying!

Call your state lab and ask if giving the abx will affect testing, they should be able to answer that.

Back
Top Bottom