Sick Ayam Cemani/wheaten Aseel hen

TrooperLu

Hatching
Jul 8, 2023
Hello there. I bought a hen off a lady about a month and a half ago, when the woman picked her up she had pressed on her crop causing her to spit up water she had just drank. I wondered at the time if water had just come up through the nose but found it odd that it had an odor. She has had nasal discharge that has a not so pleasant smell, accompanied with sneezing, cough and slight gurgle as she drifts off to sleep. Here name is Cheeya btw which means shadow in hindi, where the aseel originates from. She is my literal shadow and is currently sleeping on my chest. Looking for suggestions. Thank you!

She has had nasal discharge that has a not so pleasant smell, accompanied with sneezing, cough and slight gurgle as she drifts off to sleep.

That nasal discharge with the bad smell, along with the respiratory symptoms, points at it being infectious coryza. This is a respiratory disease that is never fully cured. You can treat the symptoms, but the disease will come back in times of stress.

She will also spread the disease to any other chickens she comes into contact with, so you should give her or any of the rest of your flock to new homes, now. The only way to fully get rid of the disease is to cull your flock, or close it until all your chickens die, and then wait awhile to get new birds.

However, you can treat it to get rid of the symptoms when they arise. I'm not sure where in the world you are located, but if you are in the US, Sulmet is very good for coryza. You could also use Tylan, which is more broad spectrum, in case it's not coryza and is one of the other respiratory diseases that have similar symptoms. That bad-smelling discharge is pretty typical of coryza, however, which is why I'm leaning that way as opposed to other diseases.

That nasal discharge with the bad smell, along with the respiratory symptoms, points at it being infectious coryza. This is a respiratory disease that is never fully cured. You can treat the symptoms, but the disease will come back in times of stress.

She will also spread the disease to any other chickens she comes into contact with, so you should give her or any of the rest of your flock to new homes, now. The only way to fully get rid of the disease is to cull your flock, or close it until all your chickens die, and then wait awhile to get new birds.

However, you can treat it to get rid of the symptoms when they arise. I'm not sure where in the world you are located, but if you are in the US, Sulmet is very good for coryza. You could also use Tylan, which is more broad spectrum, in case it's not coryza and is one of the other respiratory diseases that have similar symptoms. That bad-smelling discharge is pretty typical of coryza, however, which is why I'm leaning that way as opposed to other diseases.
thank you for the input, i did just start googling it and someone stated that sulmet is too harsh on the birds?

Back
Top Bottom