Sick baby chick : Please Help!

OkChicks15

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2023
New to raising chicks. One of our 6 week old Easter egger chicks is sick. She just sits in a corner (85 degrees)and does not eat or drink on her own. I have been feed with a syringe: water with a little Rooster Booster. What else can I do to help this sweet girl? TIA

Attachments

• 20230713_071920.jpg
    20230713_071920.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 69
Did you check her butt for clogging or pasting up?

What has the chick been given to eat? List everything, including any treats and feed.

Is grit available?

Are the chicks on the soil yet or still in the brooder? (Hint: six weeks is too old to still be in a brooder, especially with heat.)

Is the water easy to access? What type of waterer is being used?

You can begin by giving the chick chilled coconut oil, about two teaspoons all together. Break into small pieces and shove them directly into the beak. his will soften and clear any poop obstruction, which is the most common issue at this age.

Did you check her butt for clogging or pasting up?

What has the chick been given to eat? List everything, including any treats and feed.

Is grit available?

Are the chicks on the soil yet or still in the brooder? (Hint: six weeks is too old to still be in a brooder, especially with heat.)

Is the water easy to access? What type of waterer is being used?

You can begin by giving the chick chilled coconut oil, about two teaspoons all together. Break into small pieces and shove them directly into the beak. his will soften and clear any poop obstruction, which is the most common issue at this age.
She has a cute fluffy butt! No problems there. They are outside in a well protected run but have access to plants. There are 10 chicks and she is the only sick one. All other who eat and drink same diet are fine. I have given chick crumbles and scrambled eggs along with corn from garden. They have access to food and water 24/7. I brought her back in and put her in a container so I could give her water with Rooster Booster each hour.(Picture of outside protected run.) Thank you for your reply!

Attachments

• 20230703_095726.jpg
    20230703_095726.jpg
    673.5 KB · Views: 8
It can't harm her to give her the coconut oil since constipation is the most common issue at this age.

You do need to inspect the soil they are on for appropriate grit if you are giving them corn to eat as well as plants. Grit should be sharp edged and about the size of sand for chicks this age. It's easy if you strain some gravel out of the dry dirt and inspect it with a magnifying lens, found at any stationary or toy store for just a couple dollars.

New to raising chicks. One of our 6 week old Easter egger chicks is sick. She just sits in a corner (85 degrees)and does not eat or drink on her own. I have been feed with a syringe: water with a little Rooster Booster. What else can I do to help this sweet girl? TIA
Curious if she made it, our little 6 week old chick is not doing well and looks the same as your photo you posted :( I've got her inside tonight and hoping to wake up to her a little more perky.

Back
Top Bottom