Sick baby chick that hatch really weak and was almost dead but I was able to revive

Hana123

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2020
Hi, I hatched my chicken eggs for the first time and had a great hatching rate except that I had to help one of them as I can hear piping but no crack so I opened a hole for oxygen then left it for nearly a day and it wasn’t hatching by it self I got worried and helped by making the hole lager and it apparently came out of the egg and it’s nearly a day old but doesn’t look good at all it was a late hatch and a very weak one it pipes when I come around and starts kicking and it’s legs aren’t straight and they are taking the eggs shape and because it’s moving a lot in the incubator it’s a bit red kind of wounded. Moreover, I started feeding it just because I think it will gain strength if I do so, I fed it water with a bit of sugar in it and I don’t know what to do I moved it in a small box in the container so it doesn’t hurt it self when moving I also applied coconut oil on the legs please help and advice on how to keep it a live and gain strength and how often to hand feed it as it won’t eat but I force feed it the water with sugar 🥺 please keep in mind that it’s shaped like this because it’s too weak and not because the box is too small as you can see even without the box its like this
70734921-0368-477F-BB36-0D442CE40CD7.jpeg
DAA29765-8CCD-4919-AF50-57249D4AB9CF.jpeg
12C466A0-21F5-4150-A780-F6B9ECFCED05.jpeg

Last edited:
I am not very good at incubated chick problems, but I would get some Poultry Cell or NutriDrench at your feed store and give a couple of drops orally daily, in addition to fededing and watering the chick. Egg yolk can be good for them as well.

I am not very good at incubated chick problems, but I would get some Poultry Cell or NutriDrench at your feed store and give a couple of drops orally daily, in addition to fededing and watering the chick. Egg yolk can be good for them as well.
thanks for your reply! Egg yolk as in uncooked subermarket egg to feed them?

thanks for your reply! Egg yolk as in uncooked subermarket egg to feed them?

I can't speak for Eggcessive, but I believe she is referring to cooked eggs, not raw. For chicks, I whisk a small bowl of raw egg and throw it in the microwave for a few minutes. Mash it up finely with a fork, let cool, then offer it to them.

Do note, while the chick is weak, it does have leftover yolk inside its body currently, so it may not take to the mashed scrambled eggs very much. In my experience, chicks often don't have the whole "how to drink" thing down very well, so when giving fluids, give one drop at a time, letting her drink periodically as they can aspirate if you give them too much, too fast.

Back
Top Bottom