Sick baby chick

GirlsHuntToo

Professional Chicken Chaser
Jul 18, 2023
The Keystone State
Hi, one of my new Golden Laced Wyandotte chicks from Tractor Supply isn't doing well at all. She is very weak, shaking, and I can feel all her bones so isn't eating. I have done the teaching them how to eat and drink with the others and they picked up on it and doing well, except Lacey. I try to get her to eat and drink everytime I go to check on them and that's every 2 hours.

Last night I noticed she was getting worse so I gave her some electrolytes that tractor supply recommends for shipping stress and some other issues and dipped her beak and she drank some. This morning I got up to check on them and she was laying under the heat lamp very weak and couldn't walk. I brought her in and wrapped her up in a heating pad and she seems to be peeping more.

What do you think is going on? Is there anything else I can do for Lacey?
Thanks in advance.

Does it seem like she is growing slower than the other chicks?

I would recommend giving her some vitamins, continuing electrolytes, and turning some chick feed into liquids by mixing water, and maybe the vitamins, into it and then syringe feed it to her so you know she is getting food.

I use Poly-Vi-Sol as vitamins for my chickens.

Does it seem like she is growing slower than the other chicks?

I would recommend giving her some vitamins, continuing electrolytes, and turning some chick feed into liquids by mixing water, and maybe the vitamins, into it and then syringe feed it to her so you know she is getting food.

I use Poly-Vi-Sol as vitamins for my chickens.
No not really, she is same size as the others.
Thank you I will try that.

No not really, she is same size as the others.
Thank you I will try that.
It is good that she seems the same size.

I have had chicks who start being unable to walk and have your symptoms. The only difference is that they grow alot slower than the other ones before they get sick. I have noticed that they would be about half the size of the other chicks. Whatever they had seemed not to be fixable.

Heres to hoping your little chick makes it!

It is good that she seems the same size.

I have had chicks who start being unable to walk and have your symptoms. The only difference is that they grow alot slower than the other ones before they get sick. I have noticed that they would be about half the size of the other chicks. Whatever they had seemed not to be fixable.

Heres to hoping your little chick makes it!
Thank you!

Thank you!
Unfortunately TSC sells some chicks that do not have the best genetics.

I had gotten 6 Buckeye chicks from them.
2 died as chicks from what you seem to have, they were the same size as everyone and then stopped being able to walk and sadly passed on despite being cared for nonstop.
1 died as an adult rooster from some unknown respiratory illness that would not be fixed.
1 died as an adult hen from some reproductive issue that was eating away at her for months until I decided she was too far gone and culled her.
I only have 2/6 original buckeyes and 1/2 has a bum foot for no reason at all. Checked for bumblefoot, mites, or a break. Nothing.

Unfortunately TSC sells some chicks that do not have the best genetics.

I had gotten 6 Buckeye chicks from them.
2 died as chicks from what you seem to have, they were the same size as everyone and then stopped being able to walk and sadly passed on despite being cared for nonstop.
1 died as an adult rooster from some unknown respiratory illness that would not be fixed.
1 died as an adult hen from some reproductive issue that was eating away at her for months until I decided she was too far gone and culled her.
I only have 2/6 original buckeyes and 1/2 has a bum foot for no reason at all. Checked for bumblefoot, mites, or a break. Nothing.
Yes, sometimes they aren't the best. I can only be thankful that the other 5 are very strong and doing well.

Could it arthritious with your buckeye?

Yes, sometimes they aren't the best. I can only be thankful that the other 5 are very strong and doing well.

Could it arthritious with your buckeye?
I am happy that the others are doing well! Hopefully you can update on the situation of your chick!

It could be. Whatever it is, it the only sign of it being there is his limp. The only time he limps is when he walks. He can run just fine. He can also jump up and fight just fine. He can also mate with the hens just fine as well. He doesn't seem in pain at least.

Back
Top Bottom