Sick Barred Rock

Boudicea Farms

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 14, 2010
have a Barred Rock hen that I found in her hen house limp, she is unable to raise her head she was fine the night before, then found her the next am in bad shape. Haven't changed feed, about the only thing I can think of is heat stroke, I don't know how old she is she was supposed to be a pullet but now after having chickens for awhile I have doubts her comb was fully formed and she laid from day one we had her. She's been with us for about 18 months and has never been sick. After I found her she felt hot, but the hen house is cool. Sponged her off with tepid water and used a syringe to give her water which she drank. I placed her in a cool spot away from the other chickens and have been making sure she is hydrated. She's been this way for 2 days now she can hold up her head at all. no sign of predator getting into the coop, she has also laid for both days found eggs with her, she's in a pet carrier with the door closed so no question that that they were her's. Any suggestions would like to save her if possible she's my favorite and a sweetheart.

Since she has cooled off and she's not eggbound, I would check her for lice/mites especially around the vent area and base of tail feathers. Another possibility is worms.

Still no change, reread my post, correction she is unable to raise her head at all just lets it flop when I pick her up, checked her for mites and lice, doesn't appear to have them I just cleaned and sprayed the coop with chicken spray for mites and lice 2 days before this happened. She molted last fall and her feathers never grew back in, so suspected heat stroke, also lost a goat the same day never fails something always happens when I leave, had to go into Boise 70 miles away and was gone for 4 hours. A neighbor informed me he say a golden retriever running loose that afternoon. Wondering now if the dog chased the chickens from the outside of their run,( I only let them free range when I'm home so they were confined to their run that day) the temp outside was in the high 90s. The goat I lost was a 5 month old buckling I had just gotten over coccitosis he was doing great that morning, I came home to find him stressed so gave him a shot of boce and figured it was the heat. He had numerous shelters to go to but the rest of the goats were grazing so I'm sure he stayed out to be with them. I'm now thinking it was the stray, I had my guard dog kenneled to sleep since he's up all night doing his job and think that the stray had a heyday chasing the animals. Could be coincidence but the hen was fine actually doing great the days before this happened. I also keep the chickens on a regular worming schedule as per the instructions on the package. Still hoping she snaps out of it. Do you think a round of antibiotics would help?

Unfortunately lost her this am blessing really did'nt want to see her suffer anymore next time I will just be kind and put it down, Checked everybody left for lice and mites, didn't find anything I try to keep my coop cleaned I replace bedding weekly unless it gets dirty then more often. I am worming today, got the recommended dose in their waterer. I do have a hen now with a little rattle thing going on, a little clear discharge from her nostrils, don't know if she got some water up there, but not taking chances confined her to a kennel. What type of antibiotics can be used on chickens and how is it administered? I keep a bunch of different ones around for my goats and usually have to administer in shot form except for a couple of sulfa's they are in pill form. Also what medications should I keep on hand and where can I get them?

Back
Top Bottom