sick bird appears to be vomiting

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CharleneG, Mar 1, 2011.

1. CharleneG

CharleneG Hatching

May 19, 2007
    Bend, Oregon
    I have a 3 year old hen who has suddenly lost her appetite and has a puffy area on her breast. When I pick her up and palpitate the area she spits up a brownish liquid. She also acts like she has something stuck in her neck. Any help as to what I should do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Charlene

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    I had an old hen that puked once in my hands (not over me though) and I think it was because she was overwhelmed. Does your chicken have any lose of feathers?

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I am wondering if it is what is called sour crop?

4. CharleneG

CharleneG Hatching

May 19, 2007
    Bend, Oregon
    She hasn't lost any feathers. Last night I picked her up to see if I could feel any hard mass that might indicate an impacted crop but the bulge seems to be filled with fluid because she vomited the same liquid again, about 1/4 cup in volume. It is not foul smelling at all. She seemed to perk up a little after that and proceded to eat a meal worm and drink some water. This morning she is a little perkier, ate a meal worm I offered her and is drinking lots of water. Not too interested in her regular food though.

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3450431
    see
    post #3

Are your chickens on hay or straw? This could be the culprit, if so. It winds up in a ball inside the crop and blocks it.

If you type "sour crop" in the BYC search bar, you can find other threads, too. I think it COULD be sour crop...but I have no experience with this problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: