sick blind rooster HELP

tobi2255

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 16, 2011
Hello im new to this site but i have a posilain rooster with a runny nose( yellow mucus) and is a little snezzy, he is blind so i dont now if its from that any help will do thx

Does the mucous have a nasty smell?

What happened to cause his blindness?

Please give more detail - there are a lot of very informative people on the website who may be able to help you... the more information you can give - so much the better.

Suzie

no the mucus is not smelly and he was given to me blind so i dont know were he got it from but he was vacinated, he does do like a head sweep to the ground but i think he does that because he is blind.his poo is some what solid but he just stands still most of the time exept when food and water is presented to him. should i put medicen or vitamins in his water ?
o and he is parshilaly def sorry i didnt say befor

Last edited:
This is difficult as nobody appears to knows the reason as to why he is blind - so he may be having problems adjusting to his new environment with you ( if he is new to you ) - It may be advisable to try him on a dose of antibiotic to see if he improves - I hope that somebody with a lot of knowledge here can help you further.

You can tap his water and feed containers - he should respond to the sounds of each and be able to recognise what the sounds mean, my blind chicken was very unsteady on her feet just after she lost her sight but with lots of encouragement and my help she became more confident with her walking.

He is best kept warm and isolated from any of your other chickens for the time being in case he has an infection that could possibly be passed to the others.

Well done for taking on a blind and partially deaf chicken!

Suzie

thx for the encoregement. he is very unsteady on his feet but has his mate ( a female old english that guide him to places) but i will do my part to.

I would venture to suggest that you get him onto a programme of antibiotics as soon as possible - you can try something like Tetracycline - i am sure that others here on the site can offer greater help than me - poor Rooster... I hope that with your loving care he improves rapidly... you may wish to complete the symptoms listing at the top of the thread - he does need some expert help and I trust that somebody will give you that very soon! I wish I could help you further....

All the best

Suzie

Back
Top Bottom