Sick BR chick

KGreene

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 23, 2014
This BR chick is about 10 weeks old. Its been raised with its sister and two other RIR's (same age). None looked really good when I received them about two weeks ago, but the other three aren't showing signs of anything, look much better and are very active (sparring and testing their wings from the coop, etc.). The extent of this chick's daily activity for the past few days is eating, drinking and sleeping (very lethargic). They were all given Wazine when I received them. This one appears to have normal poop, no running nose, sneezing or coughing.

Any ideas of the issue and treatment suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:
I would treat all of the chicks at the same time for possible coccidiosis with Corid (amprollium, amprol, Ampromed.). Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Your sick one is the right age for it, and many chicks with cocci look like your picture. Symptoms are lethargy, weakness, sitting puffed up, diarrhea (sometimes with blood,) and poor appetite. After treatment, give several days of vitamins and probiotics. Don't delay getting Corid--the quicker it's started, the better, and it is very safe.

Last edited:
I'll pick some up tomorrow. I would assume Southern States or TSC carries this? Should I treat the older chickens also as a prophylactic measure? They're not in the same pen, but are in close proximity (adjacent pen).

Many Thanks

Back
Top Bottom