Sick Buff Orpington

Srwilson77

In the Brooder
Dec 23, 2019
Mountain Lake, Mn
Hello there,

Looking for advice on my sick hen. She is very weak, can’t roost, her poop is watery green with white. Her comb is very bluish. She is eating and drinking very little.

I have separated her from the other girls. I have given her electrolyte and vitamin water for chickens, yogurt and regular feed.I have checked her throat and felt her crop and abdomen and it feels normal.

Does anyone have anymore advice? Should I take her into the vet?

I am very worried about her as she is my favorite girl and loves to cuddle.

Thank you,
Sara

Hello there,

Looking for advice on my sick hen. She is very weak, can’t roost, her poop is watery green with white. Her comb is very bluish. She is eating and drinking very little.

I have separated her from the other girls. I have given her electrolyte and vitamin water for chickens, yogurt and regular feed.I have checked her throat and felt her crop and abdomen and it feels normal.

Thank you,
Sara
So sorry about this. How is she? You have taken the first right steps to recovery!
@Eggcessive @LaFleche

Hi Sara,

if the vet is an option, that is what I would recommend as her condition seems to require instant professional help. Blueish comb indicates cyanosis which is a lack of oxygen that can originate from various causes.
Separate her in a dog crate with only water to see if her crop will empty over night. Best to take her in for better monitoring. Crop impaction is a serious issue and can lead to death by starvation and/or circulatory collapse. So it is important to find out as soon as possible if this is her problem.

• How old is she?
  • When did she last lay an egg?
  • Did you check for external parasites such as lice or mites?
  • When did you last deworm her?
  • What exactly do you feed and did she have access to chicken grit all the time?
  • Is she moulting?

Hello there,

Thank you,
Sara
She died this morning 😓

Back
Top Bottom