Sick Chic - What to do ?????Possible Omphalitis

ChickenTenderJo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 17, 2014
We just picked up 6 baby chics yesterday from the local Valley Co-Op probably 3 -4 days old now mixed breeds and sexes. Right now we have a chic that is struggling to make it. By looking at the back/bottom of her ( we'll just refer to the chic as a "her" for lack of true identification at this point" ) has mushy chick disease or omphalitis. Her butt at one point looked ok but below it (towards navel) it looks like there was a red scabby spot like maybe her cord didn't retract into her stomach all the way. It didn't look open but it did look strange compared to the other chics. I keep wondering if she has pasty butt or omphalitis but the thing that has me leaning toward omphalitis is the fact that she is very lethargic lately, breaths deep (almost like panting but none of the other chics are having these symptoms and the temp appears ok) and she stands up a lot and seems to be hovering directly under heat unlike the other chics who are moving or laying all around the brooder , also her back end has started to bulge around the stomach area and she has moments where she makes a lot of noise but has started to keep her eyes closed a lot even while standing. I hope I didn't make it worse but a couple of hours ago before I noticed her bulging stomach I rinsed off the poopy/bulgey area on her with dish soap in warm water to get the "cement" off her because she was also having watery poop (not white but yellow/brownish). Right after her wash she let out a really long trail of poop. Poor thing might have been holding it in for a while due to blockage.

I'm not sure what else to do. I've added some Apple Cider Vinegar to the water the chics are drinking (suggested by an article on this site for pasty butt), and added save a chic electrolytes and probiotic powder . It looks like she's stopped drinking and eating so I've been dipping her beak in the water every so often hoping she's getting some kind of fluid in her and that it's going to help her.

I keep thinking we're probably going to lose her.... and with it being my first time raising chics I feel clueless. I've read a ton of articles but nothing replaces time and experience and any help/advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

Last edited:
Was I wrong with my diagnosis of Omhpalitis/treatment? I'm just wondering what else to look for. or do if something like this occurs again. Part of me keeps wondering if I did something wrong....

Thanks for the link. I'd read that one and others hoping to help the chorus chick but it didn't make it. Thanks. So far our others are doing great including two turkeys. And they're all fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom