Sick Chick Help!

Kel80537

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2024
Hey ya’ll. I need some help, please! I have a 5-6 week old RIR that is acting like she’s sick. This morning when I went to the brooder she just layed there and barely opened her eyes. Normally, she’s the first one to greet me and jump on my arm. She did rouse, but she remained puffed out and stood in one spot with her eyes closed. No discharge from her eyes or nostrils. No sneezing or coughing. She did finally eat a little, but overall is quite lethargic. I also notice her feet are cold. The other chicks have warm feet. Then, she pooped butter colored diarrhea. What is it, and what can I do to help?!?

Thank you! I ordered Corid and should have it in the morning. She seems much better now, though. Kinda wondering if she had an impacted crop. If I was feeling correctly, it seemed very hard. (I could have been feeling her bone, I guess. I am new at this!) anyway, I massaged her a bit, and when I came back later, she was active as normal. Also had normal poop. 🤷‍♀️ I will be treating her nonetheless.

Thank you! I ordered Corid and should have it in the morning. She seems much better now, though. Kinda wondering if she had an impacted crop. If I was feeling correctly, it seemed very hard. (I could have been feeling her bone, I guess. I am new at this!) anyway, I massaged her a bit, and when I came back later, she was active as normal. Also had normal poop. 🤷‍♀️ I will be treating her nonetheless.
Good to hear she's better. If you don't already have chick grit available (or tiny rocks in the soil) it would be a good idea to offer some, to help break down anything they're eating.

It does no harm to treat them with Corid if there's any possibility it is coccidiosis, though you can probably go straight to a maintenance dosage and duration if you don't see any birds with lethargy, bloody poop, etc. at the time you begin treatment.

Back
Top Bottom