Sick chick mystery

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by prixjenn, Apr 1, 2017.

1. prixjenn

prixjenn New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    The Mitten
    Hello- I have a 2 week old chick, bought from a box store. It's been fine with no issue until the other day. Symptoms- sneezing, wheezing and gasping.
    And here's the mystery part, it's not all the time. It's random. No triggers like new bedding or food. She is in a hospital tank now. She will be fine for a day, then bam. Gasping, wheezing and looks like she's at deaths door. Give her about an hour and she's fine again. I have searched Google and can't figure out what's going on.
    Anyone have any ideas? Note- through all of this she is eating and drinking fine. The only things I have given her to aid through this is Poly-Vi-Sol, Vet RX on nostrils and roof of mouth, Nutri Drench and probiotics in the water.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  2. willow5038

willow5038 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2017
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Sometimes chickens just do stuff like that. As long as she is eating and drinking I think she should be fine. If I were you, trust your judgment and if the wheezing turns into a shortness of breath and she looks like she is struggling to breath, I would take her into an emergency care pet hospital. It is also possible that she has asthma, which sounds weird but chickens can have it. Most emergency vets take chickens (depending where you live), but I would call first just to make sure if that's what you decide to do. Hope I could help!

3. prixjenn

prixjenn New Egg

Apr 1, 2017
    The Mitten
    Thanks for responding. How long do you think I should keep her separated? IF it is something respiratory, I don't wanna risks my other babies. When she has these spells, they are bad. You can hear her breathe from the other side of the room. It's horrible.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  4. willow5038

willow5038 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2017
    Somewhere in Idaho
    That doesn't sound good. I would personally call to local emergency vets and ask if they could take a look at her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by