1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick Chick....New at this, need advice.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by festivefeet, Apr 2, 2009.

1. festivefeet

festivefeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    We just got a batch of chickens yesterday. We picked them up from a chicken supplier yesterday. (2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 2 "Easter Eggers"....all hens)

One of the buff orpingtons that we brought home is not doing well. When we first got her home she laid in the shavings looking half dead. Her neck cocked sideways and very lathargic. I thought for sure she would be dead within the night. She is still alive. It's been a bit over 24 hours since we have had them. She now will normally lay alone in our "brooder", she will occasionally drink and I am not sure I have really seen her eat much of anything. She is now walking around a bit. If we take her out of the brooder and set her on the floor she will walk fast across the floor.

Her foot has some sort of scratch or infection or something. Yellow scabbing around ankle and toe.

Her droppings are foamy and liquidy. I have not seen firm ones like the others.

We are feeding chick starter and water. I did give the others some worms today as a treat, which they loved, the sick one, was not interested. I would like her to get better but am not sure what to do with her. We have never had chicks before....so we are new at this. The hatchery said she would probably die and is probably a weak chick.

Isn't there anything I can do?

Thanks.
    Jessica

2. Karlachix

Karlachix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    NorthEast
    You could try hard boiling an egg and chopping it fine and giving it to her. You can try giving her water with sugar or electrolytes in it. If you do a search I'm sure you'll find the correct proportions.

I hope all goes well!

3. kb010

kb010 Out Of The Brooder

Pedialyte? Gatorade? I think the best thing you could do would be to give her some form of glucose+electrolytes through a dropper. It might not save her, but I think it would at least give her body the best opportunity.

Good luck.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    With different droppings I would seperate her from others to be safe.

5. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:pedialyte works and i would trust it more than gatorade. no need to water it down. you can also boil and egg and take out the yolk and mush it up with some pedialyte and chick starter. i've saved many weak energyless chicks this way. best of luck, hope she pulls through!

6. festivefeet

Apr 2, 2009
    I am noticing that other chicks now have the foamy droppings. Is this something that I should treat? They did not have foamy droppings yesterday.

Jessica

Thanks for the help.

I will certainly go out and get some pedialyte today....not sure about her foot though....any ideas?

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    because of the april fools thing I a having a hard time understandng what is the age of the birds day old chicks or started pullets?

8. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I would not worry about the foamy droppings, this is fairly normal for new chicks.

Might want to cover the shavings with paper towels until you're sure they are clear on what's food and what's not (scatter some food on the towels).

These are pine shavings, right?

Edited to address the foot thing: If she has an infected foot, I would get her out of there, soak the nasty stuff off, clean it and put some neosporin or something on it. Don't use anything with "caine" in the name (topical pain relief, it will potentially kill her). Stick a bandaid or something over it as best you can, put her back in and see how she does.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  9. festivefeet

Apr 2, 2009
    I got some pediatlyte for the chick today.

How often and how much do I give to her?

Yes the shavings are pine. I have been eliminating the top layer of shavings daily and the whole thing every couple days.

Jessica

10. festivefeet

Apr 2, 2009
    The pedialyte seems to be helping a bit. She is now eating. She still doesn't snuggle with the rest of the chicks, but she seems to have improved some.

Jessica

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by