Sick chick: sneezing, pusy eye, lethargic, droopy head

forester7

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 21, 2016
New Brunswick, Canada
Hello folks. I purchased my first chicks a week ago. One of my Americaunas (about 4 weeks old) is obviously not well. It has pusy eyes, sneezes, and its head will droop to a point when it will bring it back up before it droops again. It is very lethargic, but will occasionally dig at a wing with its beak. I don't expect it will survive, but I am afraid of my others getting sick now too. Does anyone have an idea what is wrong, or wha tI can do to lessen the chances of the others getting sick? It is getting cold here in Canada, but they have a heat lamp. I have 8 chicks in total, with the oldest being 10 week old Bantam Wyandottes.

Matt

It'a shame, but your chick sounds like it may have a respiratory disease, such as mycoplasma (MG) or if there is a bad odor, possibly coryza. You can either cull the chick, or separate it and try antibiotics like Tylan (tylosin,) denagard, or sulfa from your vet. Recovered birds and those exposed become lifelong carriers. The others may or may not show symptoms, but have probably been exposed at the same time. MG is one that can be passed through hatching eggs. For some good info, Google "common poultry diseases," and click on the first link from University of FL. Look for the two diseases above, as well as infectious bronchitis that usually does not cause the eye drainage and pus in eyes. So sorry for you. If you decide to return the chicks, clean everything, and wait at least a week or two to add new birds.

I haven't had a chance to get pictures yet, but the chicks are all still alive. I have a few of them sneezing some now, but only the first one looks sick. Even that one eats and seems ok at times. The folks who sold me the chicks gave me some tetracycline they had left over from some time ago to try. They have only been on it 2 days now, so we will see. I will try to keep you posted. I just hope this isn't something that I will have in my coop for a long time!

I haven't had a chance to get pictures yet, but the chicks are all still alive. I have a few of them sneezing some now, but only the first one looks sick. Even that one eats and seems ok at times. The folks who sold me the chicks gave me some tetracycline they had left over from some time ago to try. They have only been on it 2 days now, so we will see. I will try to keep you posted. I just hope this isn't something that I will have in my coop for a long time!

Make sure they are drinking the medicated water. Unfortunately, it does sound like a respiratory disease, such as MG. It is a chronic disease and all chickens may be carriers for life. They can get it again if they become stressed, such as during a molt or other times. But it is not the end of the world. Many backyards flocks are positive for MG. Some cull sick birds, or treat with antibiotics. But most close their flocks to new birds until all birds are gone. Then after a few weeks, you can get new healthy chicks and start over without worrying about MG. Drugs such as Denagard are used in flocks positive for MG to use as a preventative or treatment.

Back
Top Bottom