SICK CHICK SYMPTONS?

SweetLilRachy00

Songster
14 Years
Oct 30, 2007
Simpsonville, SC
What would sick chick symptoms be. I have 12 mixed breeds chickens. They are 19 weeks now. THey are fine.

I just acquired two 3 week old black silkies. I have them in my make-shift brooder with heat.

Well, when they sleep, next to each other, they lay down flat heads down and all, on the bottom of the brooder. Is this normal? My other chickens never did that when they were little.

HELP!

I hope they are not sick!!!! They are active for a couple hours a day. They are sleeping most of the day, not sure how much they are awake at night though.

Three week old? Well if they are eating and drinking and have normal poo... they should be fine? Some silkies are pretty lazy... my 16 week old silkies sleep stretched out in a pile with my almost two year old silkie.
roll.png

Keep an eye on their outwards health and take it from there.

Lazy? LOL oh boy! I'm going tohave lazy chickens??

Yeah, when they lay, THEY LAY on their chest, on the side of their heads. OMG I thought that they were dead!!!! But they were both doing it!

Moma hen abandoned them so they've been in a brooder since they hatched. I thought maybe that they missed moma, but I guess they dont.

Here's another symptom:

If a chick likes to be alone, doesn't want to be with the others and is silent, then there's a problem. This is because when chicks know they're about to die, they want to die alone. If your chick spends time with the others, then she's fine.

cool.png

Thanks so much guys!!!

They are both peeping away, and yesterday I had to take them out and hold them in my closed hands to get them to hush. Guess they want to be warmed naturally with body heat. THey have a heater in their brooder, but there is a lot of room in there. I guess they wanted to be closed in, in myhands.

They are very active and vocal!!

Back
Top Bottom