1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sick chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BarredRock247, Mar 9, 2016.

1. BarredRock247

BarredRock247 New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    Arkansas

There is a video link to show what is wrong with it. If you wait until I pick it up you can really see the problem. It won't stop swaying its head back and fourth. I got the chick yesterday in an order from Cackle, it is a Welsummer.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. This looks neurological possibly from a vitamin deficiency or head injury. It is called encephalomalacia or wry neck\crook neck. I would get some Poultry Nutri-drench or Poultry Cell vitamins at TSC or another farm store, and give it 1 ml by mouth every day. You can divide the dose in half if you want twice a day, but make sure the chick is drinking well. Dip it's beak into water to help if get enough. Vitamin E and selenium are the important vitamins and minerals, and not are in the two medicines above. Let us know what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by