Sick Chick?

Cecal Coccidiosis caused by Eimeria tenella
Bursal cryptosporidiosis in the Australorp.

:( The orphington is still here, but she's also starting to look a bit the worse for wear. I've got some Merial CORID 20% SOLUBLE POWDER 10oz coming for her today. The chicks have been kept separate from her - should I give it to them also?

These are the directions I believe:
Use 1.5 teaspoons per gallon of water of this powder. 3 days on 3 days off, repeat again for 3 days. Do not use medicated feed while on this.

Should I get Amperol for the chicks instead? Or give them this?

Cecal Coccidiosis caused by Eimeria tenella
Bursal cryptosporidiosis in the Australorp.

:( The orphington is still here, but she's also starting to look a bit the worse for wear. I've got some Merial CORID 20% SOLUBLE POWDER 10oz coming for her today. The chicks have been kept separate from her - should I give it to them also?

These are the directions I believe:
Use 1.5 teaspoons per gallon of water of this powder. 3 days on 3 days off, repeat again for 3 days. Do not use medicated feed while on this.

Should I get Amperol for the chicks instead? Or give them this?
That's messed up. The hatchery should refund you for shipping sick chicks! But I have to ask, did you have chickens before these ones? And if I were you, I would be worry about Coccidiosis getting to the other chick.

So these are my first chickens/chicks/barnyard animals. Right now I have three new chicks separated from the one that was with the sick ones. And I'll treat the sick one as soon as the meds arrive today.

The question is: 1. Should I also treat the new chicks? 2. How long before I can integrate them? I hate having one lonely chicken, she seems so sad..

You know, I would have a talk with the state vet or pathologist that did your necropsy. Cryptosporidium is pretty dangerous to other chickens. If that one has it as well, I am not certain that I would mix them. The eimeria tenella is one of the worst strains of coccidia, and if those chickens were vaccinated, they should have had some immunity. There is no treatment for cryptosporidium.

At the least I would collect some droppings and have them tested when you finish your round of Corid. Corid is amprollium, and can treat coccidiosis. Other drugs commonly used to treat coccidiosis are sulf antibiotics and toltrazuril. I would contact your hatchery and let them know about these serious infections, and hopefully they will check out their facilities. Thanks for posting results, and I hope that @casportpony will chime in possibly about what to treat for the coccidiosis.

Here is some reading about both diseases:
http://www.poultryhub.org/health/disease/types-of-disease/cryptosporidiosis/

https://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616

If anyone is interested, here's the results - done at NC's Rollins lab - which I believe is the state vet. I'll treat for Coccoidiosis

Attachments

• 2018-03-01 Necropsy Results.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom