Sick chick???

Chickiemomma2132

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2022
Hello all! I have baby chicks, bought from tractor supply last Monday 3/21/22. I assume they are about 2-3 weeks old. I have one who seems to be eating and drinking, but seems to sleep a lot more than the others the past 4-5 days. As I was holding her( or him ) tonight I noticed there were a lot of crackling sounds….almost like it’s gassy? It gets up and plays and jumps around but seems to sleep more. No nasal or eye mucus or drainage and I checked to be sure nothing was stuck to the butt causing poop to back up. She/he is very clean.

Is this normal and I’m overthinking or does it sound like something is wrong?

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of your chick and her poop? If you have a red brooder light, can you turn that off for photos please, thanks!

Is her crop emptying? The crop is on the front right side and you should be able to feel it when she's been eating and drinking, it will feel like a lump under the skin. The crop should empty overnight, if she's sleeping in the dark all night. It's harder to gauge if chicks are under a light all the time, but you can still check it. Watch her eat, then feel of the crop again before she eats again, you should be able to tell the difference.

If you stand the chick by herself without her being held firmly, can you still hear the crackling?

Back
Top Bottom