Sick chick

baileybiddi

Chirping
Feb 2, 2023
I have four 1 week old chicks with a broody mama right now. Her and the chicks and been doing great so far! This morning I went out to check on everyone and one of the chicks was all alone in the coop with her head and wings down, obviously not feeling well. She is not keeping up with mama and the rest of the chicks, so I brought her to an inside brooder for now to keep an eye on her. Mama and baby chicks are integrated with the rest of the flock but everyone else is acting fine. Should I treat for coccidiosis? And if so, do I need to treat the whole flock? All of my adult chickens have been treated for coccidiosis in the past.

Do you have photos of the chick and her poop?

Is the chick perking up with you giving her fluids and water?
Can she walk/eat/drink on her own?
Any signs of injury?

It may be coccidiosis at 1 week, usually seen when a little older, but if she's not perked up with a bit of electrolytes, sugar water, etc. then treating with Corid may be the next step.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

As for treating the others if they are acting fine, then I wouldn't treat at this time, but if you decide to treat everyone, the Corid won't hurt them.

Any signs of injury?

It may be coccidiosis at 1 week, usually seen when a little older, but if she's not perked up with a bit of electrolytes, sugar water, etc. then treating with Corid may be the next step.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

As for treating the others if they are acting fine, then I wouldn't treat at this time, but if you decide to treat everyone, the Corid won't hurt them.
Her poop looks normal, not like coccidiosis poop. She’s been eating on her own and I’ve been giving her water and egg yolk. No signs of injury, she was acting completely normal yesterday. She mostly seems lethargic.

Attachments

• IMG_5898.png
    IMG_5898.png
    2 MB · Views: 8

Any signs of injury?

Any signs of injury?

Attachments

• IMG_5900.jpeg
    IMG_5900.jpeg
    547.7 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom