Sick chick

reese967

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 14, 2015
Pittsburgh pa
I have a seven week old chick she is standing hunched she’s very lethargic and weak. She doesn’t have pasty butt, but I have not seen her go since I separated her the day before yesterday, she’s had water, codified, electrolytes probiotics she recently just spit up some brownish colored fluid when I was massaging her crop I thought at first she was impacted, but I think it’s sour crop because it’s more squishy and bloated. I just had another chick with the same thing, but she snapped out of it rather quickly have you seen this color fluid before?

Attachments

• IMG_2686.jpeg
    IMG_2686.jpeg
    344.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_2684.jpeg
    IMG_2684.jpeg
    864.4 KB · Views: 4
At this young age, it's more likely the chick is constipated farther down. Give it some coconut oil, as much as you can get into it. Divide the oil into pea size pieces and chill until hard as it's easy to push into the beak in the hard state.
I did give a bit of oil earlier, she’s had epson salts at 5 am :( was told ti give her dulcolax too but haven’t. I just went and bought coconut oil a bit ago but don’t want to put too much in her

Actually, the more oil the better. I've never had a chick suffer ill effects from too much oil. When a chick is stopped up, coconut oil is much safer than a stool softener. Of course, you know never to give a chemical laxative to any chicken as it's too harsh.

Time is of the essence with chicks as constipation can kill very quickly.

Actually, the more oil the better. I've never had a chick suffer ill effects from too much oil. When a chick is stopped up, coconut oil is much safer than a stool softener. Of course, you know never to give a chemical laxative to any chicken as it's too harsh.

Time is of the essence with chicks as constipation can kill very quickly.
I’ll do the coconut oil this morning so far she’s pretty lethargic unless
I hold her and make her stand up straight. Her crap was pretty empty this morning. I just don’t see any droppings that doesn’t mean they haven’t been covered up with the pine shavings. She did not even want to drink when I dipped her beak in the water so I did give her some by eyedropper. She did peck at a little bit of boiled egg, but not much. Not sure what else to do. We have no avian vet around us anywhere. I’m doing everything I can do.

At this young age, it's more likely the chick is constipated farther down. Give it some coconut oil, as much as you can get into it. Divide the oil into pea size pieces and chill until hard as it's easy to push into the beak in the hard state.
She didn’t make it thank you for your advice

Back
Top Bottom