Sick chick?

I fed her oil (to the best of my ability, she didn’t love that) and massaged her crop and it feels and looks a little smaller but not much.
You can feed her little pieces of chilled coconut oil, at least 6 times a day. They will melt inside her crop so you can massage the crop gently.

Poop looks good. I'm not sure how long to take food away from a chick.

@LaFleche do you know?

As only liquids will pass an obstructed crop, syringe some raw eggyolk several times a day to prevent her from starving.

This is how to do it safely:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/safely-administering-oral-medications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

@LaFleche she seems to have turned the corner. I repeated the oil/massage treatment each day through the weekend and successfully fed her egg yolks - thank you for the helpful instructions on that! She is back to acting normal and has her usual energy and spunk back. Her crop seems to at least be emptied but how will I know when it is no long impacted?

@LaFleche she seems to have turned the corner. I repeated the oil/massage treatment each day through the weekend and successfully fed her egg yolks - thank you for the helpful instructions on that! She is back to acting normal and has her usual energy and spunk back. Her crop seems to at least be emptied but how will I know when it is no long impacted?
Well done! :thumbsup

I am glad that she is much better!

Feel her crop in the morning before she had something to eat or drink. It should be flat and empty in the morning and nicely filled in the evening at roosting time.

Back
Top Bottom