Sick Chick

Breezey

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 9, 2009
My four week old chick went sick for seemingly no reason this week. She was laying on the floor unable to stand and burning up. I put her in a box lined with towels to get her away from her trampling sisters. I read that petalite can help hydrate and get the sugar up until they are able to eat again themselves. I had also heard that you can choke a chicken to death when trying to hydrate with an eye dropper. I figured she was on death's door and I should at least try something. Careful to administer the liquid to the side of the beak, I started the petalite treatments. To my surprise she seems to be turning a corner! This morning she had her head positioned near the feeder. She seems interested in food again but I've yet to see her take any. My question is what is a good, perhaps soft, irresistible food for a sick chicken?

Any info is greatly appreciated! New chicken owner here!

welcome-byc.gif
Try some yogurt they usually love that!!

Hi and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Glad to hear that your chick is doing better!
hugs.gif

Debi had a great idea with the yogurt.

You can also mash up some yolk from hard boiled or steamed eggs to feed her. Very soft for her and lots of protein, which will help her make a come back.

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

Just to add to Dawn's post, when my chickens have been sick I have fed them scrambled eggs. Like you, I have also noticed that feeding them some kind of electrolyte or sugar water makes a huge difference.

Thanks everyone!

She drank water on her own this morning and started eating on her own today. It's so helpful to have some experienced handlers share advice!

The saga continues...

She seemed to have passed some sort of parasite. She's doing remarkably better. Standing up (although a little wobbly) eating and drinking on her own. Since yesterday she's been eating, drinking and consequently pooping alot! I found what looked like a worm or maggot about the size of a regular turd this evening. Because the parasite is out and she is doing better does that mean we are in the clear? Or are there more? Should she be treated? Should the others? If so with what?

Thanks so much!

Chicks 4 plus weeks old:
generally chicks can have just round worms
if I was you I would take the "worm" to a vet in the manure for him to check it for what ever it is

the most I would give all of the chicks s wazine or piperzine
just for round worms
just for a day in the waterer

then after that day put them on the
Probiotic wet mash

1 qt of dry crumbles
2 qts of milk any kind ( I feel sour milk by 2tbsp of apple cider vineager and keep unused milk in frig to be used
1/4 cup of unflavoered yoguart
mixgood and feed in feeder

mix what each chick at 3 tsp per chick will need
in 20-30 minutes
now clean feeder up and restock dry crumbles

do this two days and then once a week for life of chicken

Back
Top Bottom