Sick Chick

Cold Canadian

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 19, 2010
Manitoba Canada
I have a chick that I just got yesterday that is sitting and seems to have something stuck in it's throat ? It opens it's beak ,but no sound and it just sits ? It was fine yesterday ..............any help ideas ,it's about four to five days old

What variety of poults were these? Do you have more and, if so, are they behaving the same way? Temp./bedding type/kind of feed?

I'd get a hold of the hatchery you ordered them from. I could understand their arriving dead, or stressed and puny but, assuming you are up to speed on brooding poultry and it wasn't something on your end, gaping and dying isn't a high probability event.

If you have others and they look like they are going downhill try an eyedropper and give small amounts of sucrose and water (will sometimes get them over humps), small amount of poultry vitamins or Polyvisol Enfamil (without iron) infant vitamins wouldn't hurt to add to water.

I have sent the supplier a few emails ,no responce yet ? Two more dead this morning so I'm hoping that iy stops real soon .I have been doing this for years so the brooding ,bedding ,feed isn't a issue .I do realize that turkey chicks are harder to raise the chicken chicks ,but they were so lively when I got them that I'm a bit confused by the deaths .I'll send the supplier another email and see what I get ?

After poults are successfully introduced to food and water, and all other environmental needs are met, they are some pretty tough and lively customers. You might consider performing a gross necroscopy on one of those that dies and examine the trachea (a little young for heavy infestation but Gapeworm might be a possibility - is supplier a private individual or hatchery? Hens might have been on infested soil).

Without other symptoms than the gaping/weakness/death, it is hard to know.

Here is a list of the more common diseases: http://albc-usa.org/documents/turkeymanual/ALBCturkey-5.pdf

Good luck!

check the bedding to see if it's wet. turkey chicks die very easily if there is too much moister. it's more common than you might think. if that's not it than i don't really know. i only have one turkey and all i know is what i read in a poultry book. i hope that you get E-mailed back about it because it might mean that others who ordered from them are having the same problem.

good luck.

After poults are successfully introduced to food and water, and all other environmental needs are met, they are some pretty tough and lively customers. You might consider performing a gross necroscopy on one of those that dies and examine the trachea (a little young for heavy infestation but Gapeworm might be a possibility - is supplier a private individual or hatchery? Hens might have been on infested soil).

Without other symptoms than the gaping/weakness/death, it is hard to know.

Here is a list of the more common diseases: http://albc-usa.org/documents/turkeymanual/ALBCturkey-5.pdf

Good luck!

I had chickens that were the same way or sounds like it and it turned out to be worms I used a home remedy of boiled tobacco juice using a dropper made them swallow about a teaspoon 1 time a day for 2 days it it took care of that problem till I could get some wormer medicine.
I use D.E. now to prevent it from coming back and as of now has not 2 years ago.

I hope you do discover what the problem is it scary not knowing.

Back
Top Bottom