Sick Chicken Accomodation Tips Request

chella

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
Sussex County, New Jersey
I have a recovering Rooster ... we are 16 days in, He has made remarkable progress. He is no longer very sick and immobile supported in a laundry basket ... but he is progressing slowly, he is a play pen now - standing for short periods and moving on and off (mostly resting and sitting) and getting poop on himself always.

Is there any tips to help keep him (most importantly) and/or his environment cleaner?

When he was in the laundry basket, after about 6 days, I set up a "bed pan" and it made clean up very easy ... since this transition 5 days ago this has been a lot messier. I am mostly concerned for him being damp or wet, his skin and irritation, and/or the time and stress for him being given frequent baths.

I read another post saying to prevent wet vent/poop caking to use oil ... but this is not his vent rather all of his feathers on his back end from tip to skin ... so I'm not sure if that will do the job.

Any and all tips welcome on nursing and housing a chicken on road to recovery.

I'm in the same boat right now with a hen. I have her in a dog crate. I just try and put fresh newspaper in it every few hours during the day. I haven't found a better way yet. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom