Sick chicken and travel

jennyman

Chirping
Apr 9, 2020
Hello All! I have a chicken who is lethargic, droppy tail nd not eating. We already took her to the vet so she has some medications. Not sure what is going on with her any ideas?

My second question for you all is about travel. Of course our hen gets sick right before we leave for a trip (tonight). No idea what to do here. It's a nonrefundable trip. Our animal sitter is fine with taking care of her. Should we stay home with her? I have so much anxiety and no idea what to do. Help!

Hello All! I have a chicken who is lethargic, droppy tail nd not eating. We already took her to the vet so she has some medications. Not sure what is going on with her any ideas?

My second question for you all is about travel. Of course our hen gets sick right before we leave for a trip (tonight). No idea what to do here. It's a nonrefundable trip. Our animal sitter is fine with taking care of her. Should we stay home with her? I have so much anxiety and no idea what to do. Help!
Regarding to your travel, You have to do what feels good for you.
If your animal sitter is fine with it and you trust her/him, it might help you when you ask for a regular update in the form of a message/photo.
Furthermore, you should ask yourself the question, is there anything I can do which the animal sitter can't and if so, is it a skill your chicken needs.

Good luck with your sick hen!

Did the vet say what is wrong?

Lethargy, droopy tail, and not eating are general signs that a chicken is not feeling well, but there are many things that can cause those symptoms. Since you already saw a vet, I would try giving the medicines and following the vet's instructions, and hope that fixes the problem.

Did the vet say what is wrong?

Lethargy, droopy tail, and not eating are general signs that a chicken is not feeling well, but there are many things that can cause those symptoms. Since you already saw a vet, I would try giving the medicines and following the vet's instructions, and hope that fixes the problem.
She didn't. Just said not egg bound.

Is this an older hen? How does her crop feel? Many hens suffer from reproductive disorders or crop disorders. Many of these will be chronic problems, and while you can treat them, the outcome may not be good. So it depends on whether you can feel good about your trip even though you could lose her. If your sitter is reliable, and you teach her how to give the medicine, that would make you feel better.

Is this an older hen? How does her crop feel? Many hens suffer from reproductive disorders or crop disorders. Many of these will be chronic problems, and while you can treat them, the outcome may not be good. So it depends on whether you can feel good about your trip even though you could lose her. If your sitter is reliable, and you teach her how to give the medicine, that would make you feel better.
She is 2 years old. Thanks! I'm not sure? We haven't had a problem with her before. Really stuck on what to do.

Has she been laying eggs recently? Have you seen any soft or abnormal eggs? Check her crop and tell us if it is empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy soft. In early morning before eating, it should be empty. You can check for egg binding by inserting a clean or gloved finger into her vent 2 inches, to feel for an egg or obstruction. What do her poops look like? Pictures are sometimes helpful.

Back
Top Bottom