Sick chicken? Black comb?

Darren7

Hatching
Jul 31, 2016
Central Oklahoma
I have 8 Rhode Island Reds that are about 5 months old. I'm worried about one of them. Her comb is turning black and it appears to be reducing in size. Is she sick? Do I need to do anything for her or the other birds?

I believe she is laying eggs because they are laying about 8 each day. The only other possible issue is on occasion I see some black tar like poop. It is sticky, stinky, and hardens like plastic. I have seen this for several months so I don't think it is related. They are free range in my back yard of about 1/2 an acre. They have access to oyster shell. Their water is fresh because I use poultry nipples on a 5gal bucket. I feed them Nutrena country feeds 16% layer crumbles. I just recently started to give them a small amount of oats and corn. I have put down diatomaceous earth in their dirt baths a couple of times (the last was a couple of months ago). I have given them fresh habanero and garlic as de-warmer/preventer a couple of months ago.

Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to be thorough and answer any possible questions.

I have searched other post and I haven’t seen anything that resembles the black comb. The only post I have seen about black comb states possible frost bite. That wouldn’t be the case here since it is in central Oklahoma during July which is lucky to see nighttime lows in the 70s. Any ideas?

I have 8 Rhode Island Reds that are about 5 months old. I'm worried about one of them. Her comb is turning black and it appears to be reducing in size. Is she sick? Do I need to do anything for her or the other birds?

I believe she is laying eggs because they are laying about 8 each day. The only other possible issue is on occasion I see some black tar like poop. It is sticky, stinky, and hardens like plastic. I have seen this for several months so I don't think it is related. They are free range in my back yard of about 1/2 an acre. They have access to oyster shell. Their water is fresh because I use poultry nipples on a 5gal bucket. I feed them Nutrena country feeds 16% layer crumbles. I just recently started to give them a small amount of oats and corn. I have put down diatomaceous earth in their dirt baths a couple of times (the last was a couple of months ago). I have given them fresh habanero and garlic as de-warmer/preventer a couple of months ago.

Thanks in advance for your help. Sorry for the long post. I just wanted to be thorough and answer any possible questions.

Welcome to BYC!

It looks like a pecking injury or she could have cut it somehow.

You can either leave it alone or apply some Blue Kote. The injured tip(s) may eventually fall off.

It might be frostbite can you get a picture of its comb I might know better if I saw a pic. of it. That would be real helpful.
Thanks for the help Ethan and Wyorp. I ordered some "Blu-Kote" from Amazon. I'm assuming it is the same thing you were referencing. Here are some close up pictures of the hen in question. I don't think frostbite is even a possibility. For the month of July in central Oklahoma our lowest nighttime temperature was 67F. Here is a link for our daily temperatures for the month of July if you think it is relevant.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/ok...july-weather/350143?monyr=7/1/2016&view=table

Is this something that can get infected and cause other problems? Will it grow back or heal over time?
Thanks again

Thanks for the better photos. Now I can see better and the other side of the comb.
It looks like she has Fowl Pox which is caused by mosquito bites. It will generally resolve itself over several weeks. You can put some iodine on the scabs to help dry them out and heal. It can get in the mouth (beak) as well which can cause problems or if it spreads a bit toward the eyes keep watch. Don't pick off the scabs. Keep an eye on her and make sure they have clean water available, some people sanitize the drinking water (instruction in the link below).

Make sure she is eating and drinking well.

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

I wanted to give an update on the black comb. I ordered both the Blu-Kote and Iodine. However, before it came in the mail the black parts of the comb have fallen off a few days ago which would be a little over a week from the original sighting. It even appears that the comb may be growing back already. I have attached some new photos showing the change. All of this has been without any intervention by me.

Back
Top Bottom